Pebble Question . Pebble Tec, Stonescapes, River Rok, Generic Pebble.

Dparnell

Aug 24, 2015
Marvin, North Carolina
Owner builder getting nearing the end of my build. I've been getting estimates for pebble finish. Most of the bids I have received involve NPT stonescapes mini pebble, one or two have been pebble tec (sheen), today I spoke with a local company who get's their pebble from Mason Mart, http://jonre.com/MM-2.html

This local company claims the pebble from Mason Mart is the same as what NPT uses and they can match any color from NPT or PT. They offer a 5 year warranty on their work. I am skeptical because the bid from this local company came in almost $3,000 less than other bids. This company was recommended to me by my hardscape contractor and he said they do amazing work. They do shotcrete and plaster/ pebble work here in the Inland EMPIRE. Are all pebble finishes created equal?

I called Mason Mart today to ask about their pebble, the gentleman I spoke with also told me that their pebble is no different than NPT or Pebble Tec. I asked about the warranty and he said the warranty is offered by the installer since "a rock is a rock and it's been around for thousands of years." He also said what usually fails is the plaster that the aggregate is set in and he claims to sell the best plaster in the industry. He also invited me to stop in and check out some of their product, I might stop by tomorrow morning.

Is this too good to be true?

I would get references but I don't think they mean that much. In my view the only references that count are from other pool builders that have used them.

The materials are not all the same. For example Pebble Tec has the sea shells embedded -- and they look really cool in the correct light. The rest of the time-- dah well -- What seashells?

Ok so Pebble Tec is the big boy in the industry. It offers a great warranty -- on materials. But many of the issues are with installation.

I would suspect any Pebble Tec will be installed by Baron Plastering in SB. No matter who you get the bids from.

With NPT you have at least five or six applicators to choose from.

Remember an applicators warranty is no good if they are out of business no matter how good the product.

The cheap skate in me is screaming... GO LOOK! :mrgreen:

It's always a buyer beware though right?! There is no harm in looking and researching your findings. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Your best bet is to get references from each plaster company and ask to see a couple of their finished pools. A great plaster crew can make any finish look good regardless of the brand. Many companies have started using NPT because of the easy access to a large number of pool finishes, most of which they keep in stock. NPT has approx. 140 plus finishes available. As an applicator it is extremely beneficial not to have to keep a huge volume of material in stock, some of which we may only use once or twice a year.

The cheap skate in me is screaming... GO LOOK!

:D I love it. I am already over budget with my pool build so if I can save a few thousand I will be happy and so will the wife. I'm just concerned about it lasting.

Your best bet is to get references from each plaster company and ask to see a couple of their finished pools.

Yes, I plan on doing this. I am also heading over to Mason Mart this morning to talk with them about the products they use. I am still unsure of the differences between brands. Without overthinking this pebble is just plaster with aggregate mixed in and exposed, right? If that's the case the materials will be similar across all brands.

What is the perimeter footage of your pool?

Approximately 110 linear feet including the spa.

I stopped by Mason Mart and got a tour of the facility with the manager. He highly recommends the people I got the quote from and said they do several pools each day using their product. He was also wearing an NPT jacket and when I asked him if they were affiliated he said NPT just purchased them a week ago. Interesting. He confirmed what I've read on this forum that it's not necessarily the pebble/ plaster that I should be concerned with it's the installers and making sure they do it properly.

Search for articles and threads by Onbalance for plaster and you will learn a great deal about the plaster process.

I personally have not heard of any good recommended plaster companies in So Cal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im watching this thread for more info. Good find & thanks!

You drove out to Montclair? that is more than just "stopping by" - just like when I have t drive from the 818 to Anaheim Hills to check out NPT and the others...

On another note - have you noticed that Claremont and Montclair are right next to each other? What is up with that???
:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.