Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Silver Spring, Maryland

New pool owner

Hello all! My significant other bought a house with a pool in October, and I've used this forum to learn a bit about the maintenance and certain procedures. It has been a useful tool thus far.

We're located in the DC area and got to use the pool for most of October, but ended up closing it due to the amount of leaves falling in. We used the previous owners' pool service for the last few weeks of cl eaning and the closing, however I do not want to use him again due to his exorbitant rates ($600 to close the pool) and a comment he made about always adding chlorine, even if there was already too much chlorine in the pool. He just seemed to be too laissez-faire about the pool and equipment for my taste.

About the pool: from what I have gathered, it's somewhere between 22,000-26,000 gallons with a small-ish attached spa, and it was built by Anthony pools any time between 1970 and 1988. It was replastered a couple years ago. The equipment that is there now is a 1hp Pentair whisperflo, a 3/4hp Polaris pump, a 60sq. ft. FNS Plus DE filter, and a Purex Triton 350M minimax (millivolt). The heater is from 1993, and the other equipment looks about the same age. Updating the equipment is what brings me to this forum. Hopefully I can find the answers and advice I'm looking for!

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: New pool owner

Welcome to the pool world. Ask any particular questions you have in the most appropriate forum for them.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern IL

Welcome! Let us know your questions and get a good testkit: Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum and pool ownership jdrharrison
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter