Considering Pentair Quad DE Filter

I'm having our pump replaced next spring, and am considering upgrading from a sand filter to a Pentair Quad DE filter.

I guess I'm wondering, based on experiences from users in this forum, whether the upgrade is worth it.

Some questions I'm wondering about:

• Will the better filtering be visible when swimming underwater?
  • My sand filter maintenance consists of backwashing every week or so...takes about 10 minutes. How will maintenance of the Quad DE filter compare?
  • Is the long term reliability of the Quad DE proven, or have there been problems reported?

My pool company tells me that, in 20 years, they've never installed a Quad DE filter, so I guess I'm hesitant at this point.

I'd welcome any comments here...and especially from anyone who has a Quad DE filter.

I'm having our pump replaced next spring, and am considering upgrading from a sand filter to a Pentair Quad DE filter.

I guess I'm wondering, based on experiences from users in this forum, whether the upgrade is worth it.

Some questions I'm wondering about:

• Will the better filtering be visible when swimming underwater?
  • My sand filter maintenance consists of backwashing every week or so...takes about 10 minutes. How will maintenance of the Quad DE filter compare?
  • Is the long term reliability of the Quad DE proven, or have there been problems reported?

My pool company tells me that, in 20 years, they've never installed a Quad DE filter, so I guess I'm hesitant at this point.

I'd welcome any comments here...and especially from anyone who has a Quad DE filter.

Yes, the filtration performance is better than sand (smaller particle size). You see it most at night when the lights are on but my underwater pool clarity is excellent.

I have a QuadDE100 (100 sq ft) which is probably a bit oversized for my pool (bigger is always better in the filter world). I backwash my filter perhaps four (4) times PER YEAR. In fact, I typically start off the season with a full tear down of the filter, back wash once or twice during mid-season and then, if needed, once before the winter season. Backwashing is a little more complicated than a sand filter as you have to re-charge the DE after backwash. Takes me about 30mins to backwash my filter. Full tear down and clean takes about 2 hours, 3-4 hours if I do it slowly.

Reliability - well, mine is 4 years old and I have never had a problem. I'm still working with the original Quad cartridges. Those are the most expensive component to replace, ~$100 per quad cartridge and you need four.

If you don't like DE (it is a dust inhalation hazard and is considered a carcinogen), then you can use cellulose fiber instead. CF might require more frequent backwashing and has slightly less performance, but I doubt anyone can notice it.

Another option would just be a Pentair cartridge filter. There is no backwashing involved in a cartridge filter. If you get a big enough one, then there is a good chance you'd only have to open it once or twice per year to clean. Many folks here on TFP have cartridge filters and love the performance/ease-of-use aspect.

Last edited:
Matt,

Many thanks for the excellent input!

If I read correctly, you only do a full tear down of your QuadDE once per year, and that's upon the start of the pool season?

Good advice, also, on considering a standard cartridge filter...I hadn't really considered one, but you've reminded me to look at those as well. The filter efficiency of a cartridge system falls in between sand and DE and, I suspect, may be all I need.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

We have lots of trees and a 520sf Pentair cartridge filter. Pool is 3-1/2 years old. It takes about an hour to open up, hose off the cartridges and put it back together. Or 15 minutes to just swap cartridges and clean later. We had algae once and I had to clean them every day until I got it under control. I have to clean the cartridges 2 or 3 times each spring and fall depending on how busy the trees are. We bought a set of Pleatco cartridges early so I could rotate cartridges. 200 bucks for 4. The Pleatcos were a lot better than the OEM cartridges, easier to clean better flow, longer lasting, clogged less, etc. Last year I bought another set and rotate the Pleatcos and retired the Pentairs.

Based on my time and reading here I will seriously consider a sand filter next time. They filter great and are quick and easy to backwash. And you can add DE to your sand filter for a little extra filtration if you want to. More here, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I wouldn't say switching from sand to DE is an upgrade, just a different type of filtration method. All three filter types should provide excellent clarity to swim in.

My question for you is why are you needing to backwash every week? A properly sized filter and proper chemistry should keep cleaning any type of filter to a minimum.

Yes, I only do a full tear down and clean once per year at the start of the swim season. TFP recommends tearing down a DE filter (and deep cleaning a sand filter) once per year. That's in line with filter manufacturer recommendations.

One other consideration before you go all in on DE is to check local pool codes. Some municipalities restrict the use of DE filters or require DE separation tanks to be installed. Separation tanks add to the expense of a DE filter setup and many people find them to be a nuisance to take care of.

If you discharge DE directly to your property (no sewer drain), then you'll have to contend with the old DE drying out and possibly blowing around on windy days. I discharge out to a corner of the yard no one goes in and the DE gets washed away by rain but not everyone has that luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks again for the input. I think I'm going to stick with my sand filter, as it's the easiest to maintain. Our lot gets a fair amount of dirt and debris from the forest behind us, and I'm not convinced I'll see much of a water clarity difference during the day with a QuadDE filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.