Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storage of pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Storage of pool cleaner

I normally keep our Baracuda (Genie 3000) in the pool all the time.

I'm thinking I might put it in the box where all my pool equipment is stored, and just put it in the pool when I use it.

So, in the storage box, it would be out of the direct sun, but I would need to coil the hose a little to get it to fit in there.

Will the parts of the cleaner actually last longer permanently wet (i.e. in the pool) versus being kept dry in storage?

For example, will the rubber dry out and crack?

Bob.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storage of pool cleaner

I leave my hose out now. When I tried to put it in the pool side box it formed some "memory" curves. I tried laying it in the sun and stretching it out to remove the curve. It did not work

I do put the working part in the box as I do not want the plastic to dry out and become brittle. I do not know if it helps but it makes me happy so..........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I will be getting my Dophin Trident Plus tomorrow and it will be my first robot, replacing a Kreepy Krauly. Do most of you folks keep your robot in the water all of the time, or take it out between cleaning sessions? If you leave it in, what about the power supply? I don't think the supply should be exposed to rain or snow.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

I take my robot out after each use. I have left it in the pool overnight on occasion, but that's it. My power supply always goes on a chair, underneath a table near my pool to keep it out of the rain. I know some folks have cut holes in storage containers that fit over their power supplies (upside-down) to cover them when they are out in the elements. The power supplies are all water or weather resistant but it pays to keep them sheltered from the elements. In the winter, my robot and power supply go indoors in the basement.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I think for the winter months here I will just put it back on the caddy after each use and put it in a storage shed. After spending more than a grand on this thing, I would like to have it last as long as possible.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I meant when in use my PS goes under the table, on the chair. When I'm not using it during the summer, the robot goes inside the screened porch with the power supply (inside a storage box if I'm not too lazy that day).

Best to have the whole unit in a place that's dry and out of the sun whenever possible.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. So it sounds like it's fine to keep the cleaner out of the pool when not in use so long as it's not sitting in the sun somewhere?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The power supplies are all water or weather resistant but it pays to keep them sheltered from the elements.
    I left my Dolphin power supply in the rain and it failed. Tech Support pointed out to me that the manual says not to leave it outdoors.

They graciously replaced it nevertheless.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I keep our Kreepy Krawler in at all times. I just replace the foam on the tail when it wears out or the bag.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.