Easy Touch and how to control pool pilot chlorinator

Jul 9, 2012
Like most people struggling with programming ET.

Here is what I want to do, I want to have chlorinator hi voltage relay to come on automatic with pool schedule. No thinking.

Is there a work around for one of the special purpose relays to control it to work auto with pool schedule. I do not want chlorinator to come on with spa. With my Jandy they had a special output for a relay, that by moving a jumper, it worked only on spa or pool mode. I don't see anything like that for the special purpose spa relay output. Right now I not using any special purpose relay, since my pump hooked via serial and heater via fireman switch.

When trying to use AUX EX, I can name it and assign a circuit, but the circuit function does not correlate to my needs. Maybe just confusing, but while I am writing this, I relooked at manual and wondering if master pool circuit would work...disregard...it won't let me assign to aux ex.

I only have one pump.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The Easytouch allows for SWG run percentages for the pool and spa separately. You would set the pool output to your desired setting, and the spa output to 0. These options are found under Settings>IntelliChlor>Pool %/Spa%. Being that you are using the Auto pilot (which is supposedly compatible with the ET) then this is how it would work. If your SWG is wired to a standalone transformer and does not link to the ET via a communication cable, then your options are going to be much more limited.

Its your decision on how to run your equipment, but I've noticed that if I don't run the SWG while the spa is in use, I go through chlorine quickly and start getting that CC smell. I set mine at 10% when in spa mode (and that's with a very large SWG), that seems to be about right for my needs.

The relay that you use should be the filter pump circuit and that would allow exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you hook the SWG another relay, just make a schedule for that relay that would activate at the same time that your pool pump runs. If you used the spa during that time schedule, you'd have to turn that relay off.

That option would work but it is far more complicated that it needs to be.

If you haven't looked into it, ScreenLogic is an interface that allows control of the ET through your cell phone and computer. Programming is day and night easier than through the panel.

You do have the Pool/Spa model EasyTouch correct?

The Easytouch allows for SWG run percentages for the pool and spa separately. You would set the pool output to your desired setting, and the spa output to 0. These options are found under Settings>IntelliChlor>Pool %/Spa%. Being that you are using the Auto pilot (which is supposedly compatible with the ET) then this is how it would work. If your SWG is wired to a standalone transformer and does not link to the ET via a communication cable, then your options are going to be much more limited.

Its your decision on how to run your equipment, but I've noticed that if I don't run the SWG while the spa is in use, I go through chlorine quickly and start getting that CC smell. I set mine at 10% when in spa mode (and that's with a very large SWG), that seems to be about right for my needs.

The relay that you use should be the filter pump circuit and that would allow exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you hook the SWG another relay, just make a schedule for that relay that would activate at the same time that your pool pump runs. If you used the spa during that time schedule, you'd have to turn that relay off.

That option would work but it is far more complicated that it needs to be.

If you haven't looked into it, ScreenLogic is an interface that allows control of the ET through your cell phone and computer. Programming is day and night easier than through the panel.

You do have the Pool/Spa model EasyTouch correct?

I tried that route (hooking up pool pilot to ET). Could not get it to work. I went to tech with pool pilot and they say they discontinued supporting the serial connectin. I have swg right now on a program with aux 3. I was hoping some way to get it to work auto with pool with relays. I already residences myself to manual adjustment.

Thanks for responding!

Off the top of my head, I'd say try to use both the Pump/Filter relay and the Aux1 relay in series. The Pump/Filter relay will close anytime the pump is running and the Aux1 could be programmed to come on only in the Pool mode. If the pump is not running you obviously don't want the SWG on.. the AUX1 would open in the SPA mode and shut of the SWG. I have not tried it yet, but it sounds as if it should work.

Jim R.

Off the top of my head, I'd say try to use both the Pump/Filter relay and the Aux1 relay in series. The Pump/Filter relay will close anytime the pump is running and the Aux1 could be programmed to come on only in the Pool mode. If the pump is not running you obviously don't want the SWG on.. the AUX1 would open in the SPA mode and shut of the SWG. I have not tried it yet, but it sounds as if it should work.

Jim R.

Jim, how do I program aux 1 to only come on pool mode?

Poolman, not something I thought about ( re routing lines and using a valve). I was hoping to control it by programming a relay.

Jim, how do I program aux 1 to only come on pool mode?

Poolman, not something I thought about ( re routing lines and using a valve). I was hoping to control it by programming a relay.

Have a question, does jandy or Pentair make a relay that is normally closed ILO normally open as the ones installed? Then I could hook swg relay to spa special purpose relay output and when spa on, it would open the relay. Would have to in it in series from pool. Pump relay, so not on all the time. I really hate running to relays for this...got to be a way!

Jay,

Well, it was pretty easy to write it down, but when I tried it, it did not do what I thought it would. I got home late, so I didn't have a lot of time to screw with it. I'll play with it tomorrow, but I'm not so sure now that my original idea will work. Sigh!!

Turning the SWG on and off as a function of the schedule would be easy. But, I doubt you are planning to "schedule" the Spa, so how are you changing from the Pool mode to the Spa mode? Are you manually moving valves, or are you pressing the V (Valve) button on the EasyTouch and the valves are moving automatically? Or????

The only other Pentair EasyTouch relay that I know of is the 2-Speed pump relay. It has two sets of N/C contacts and two sets of N/O contacts, but... Cost about $100 bucks. It does come with a small cable and connector so that you can just replace one of the existing relays with it. P/N is 520198 Relay Assembly.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.