Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool size question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool size question

I am currently having a 20x40 rectangle pool installed. The deep end is 8' deep. The builder had the shallow end 12' long and starting the slope to the deep. He said the slope is 14' to keep from having such a steep slope and possible hitting during diving. I think the 12' is small for the shallow end. Is the 12' the correct length for the 20x40 pool. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool size question

If you think about it, it'd allow around 14 ft for the deep end. It is very important to get that slope far enough away so that when someone is diving in, they won't break their neck hitting that slope. Diving pools chew up the shallow end for very good reason.

Now, if you don't mind a steep slope and he can do it, it's your pool but I think, without you seeing it, it does sound small. Try laying it out with rope and then step back and look. Stand in that 12x20 and know, this is only the shallow end. Go look at it from a second story window if you can (don't know if you have that option).

Welcome!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I second the idea of staking it out and outlining it with highly visible rope or such.

Take a picture and share with us here.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If the spot of land it is going in is just dirt at the moment after you mark it off spray it lightly inside the rope with a hose. The darker wet dirt can give you a real feel for the impact the pool will have on the space.

As for the shallow end while our pool is not as large as yours we had the same concern we wanted more shallow end than they originally advised since we knew we would spend most of our time down there. We opted for a steeper slope so we did not loose too much usable space on either end. If I figure it you are walking toward the deep end you better be able to swim. Just a matter of making sure those using the pool are aware of how it's built and swim and dive accordingly. We allow younger kids to dive from any direction that's not near a step since there momentum slows quickly, adults that want to dive deep are to do it from the shallow end fallowing the slope but ours is not meant to be a diving pool.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100. You can support TFP wiht AmazonSmile

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonar15 View Post
    I am currently having a 20x40 rectangle pool installed. The deep end is 8' deep. The builder had the shallow end 12' long and starting the slope to the deep. He said the slope is 14' to keep from having such a steep slope and possible hitting during diving. I think the 12' is small for the shallow end. Is the 12' the correct length for the 20x40 pool. Thanks.
    You have described my pool to a "T." IMHO, one should calculate how big a pool they want and then add more feet to accommodate diving, if that is really desired. You are going to end up with 12 X 20 feet to accommodate all water sports that need to put your feet on the floor.

Personally, if I were building a pool today, I would take Hugh Hefner's lead with a shallower pool and trade the diving area for a grotto..... YMMV.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    You have described my pool to a "T." IMHO, one should calculate how big a pool they want and then add more feet to accommodate diving, if that is really desired. You are going to end up with 12 X 20 feet to accommodate all water sports that need to put your feet on the floor.

Personally, if I were building a pool today, I would take Hugh Hefner's lead with a shallower pool and trade the diving area for a grotto..... YMMV.
    But what if he wants a diving pool?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    But what if he wants a diving pool?
    Then IMHO he needs to take "Option A" and make a 20 X 60 pool. I'm only half kidding.... how long can you tread water?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I can't remember for sure, but I think your angle and distance are all completely covered by building code and you or your builder will have little say in it....unless you make it larger than code requires.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I can't remember for sure, but I think your angle and distance are all completely covered by building code and you or your builder will have little say in it....unless you make it larger than code requires.
    When I discussed my pool with the "pool repair guy," that is exactly what he explained to me..... for our use of the pool, we could do without the deep end, entirely. To do an 8 foot deep pool, the bin shape (by requirements and limits) eats up about 2/3 of a 40 foot pool. If diving is a real requirement, then there is a trade off. If diving isn't a deal breaker, then less depth may give more "usable" room.

To avoid regrets, you'll just have to gaze into your crystal ball and successfully predict your actual use of the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Google pool diving types to see the design criteria for different diving requirements.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonar15 View Post

I am at work so I can't attatch link, but google ANSI pool depth guidelines and it will have a very specific chart regarding the depth for a diving board and the slope ratio from the deep to the shallow. If my memory serves correctly you need a 1:3 rise:run ratio. Basically for every foot you need to go up, you have to travel 3 feet. So if you deep is 8 and the shallow is 4, you have 4 feet of rise so you need 12 feet of run. However there are some extra feet in there for the area near the diving board.

We put a diving board in and I remembeer that it added ALOT of extra room for it, we went with 10ft deep, because, in my opinion, the diving board is dangerous mainlyif you hit the bottom, at 10 feet deep, you are not going to hit the bottom. It caused use to design an L shape pool. Basically the shallow end runs north and south and the deep end runs east and west. Sounds like if you are already building then all of this is a mute point.

Long story longer, the saftey slope (supposed to prevent head strikes from diving, and also not be so deep that kids playing in the shallow end get "sucked" in to the deep if they step on the slope.)

So yes I think 12 feet is about what I would think is right.

If you look at my construction post, I think I have some dimensions with the design.
    55,000 gallon freeform L-shape 40x50ft, 3'8-10', 150' perimeter, gunite, pebbletec (tbd), sand filter, 2hp Ecostar variable speed pump, 400k gas heater, Aquacomfort heat/chill pump, 8 jet spa with 2hp blower, limestone grotto waterfall, 20 ft BYOS slide with arch and water fall, grand effects wall torches and fire bowls, 1m diving platform with 14ft board, gold line salt system, full automation, stamp, stained and salted concrete

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP!

Code should be 1:3 slope and from what it looks like you want a 8' to 3.5' depth of pool. You should get 2 more feet of shallow end if you want a 4' deep shallow end. Personally I prefer a 4' deep shallow end for swimming laps.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process