Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot tub not getting oxidized by ozone thingy

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot tub not getting oxidized by ozone thingy

Opened the side panel today to start draining and noticed that there was an air hose disconnected. Upon further investigation I found that the plastic nipple that attaches to the ozone injector had broken off. So the hot tub hasn't been getting oxidized! I replaced the nipple, cut the hose and re-attached it. There is a slight noise coming from the air tube, like there is a bit of water in it, is this normal as it's pushing the oxidized air into the water somewhere?

By the way, how does this ozone thingy work? Should it be cleaned? Does it have a filter? Should something be re-charged or filled? This hot tub is from 1994 and we bought the house about a year ago, so just wondering what the maintenance is on this. Thanks!
    Sundance Calypso Hot tub 1500 L, 2 pumps, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot tub not getting oxidized by ozone thingy

Yes. it is supposed to inject ozone into your water.
    Ozonators usually last @ 3 years. They don't require any maintenance/service.
    You can buy a test kit to see if it's working or not.
    Hot Springs Sovereign (1999?)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    Yes. it is supposed to inject ozone into your water.
    Ozonators usually last @ 3 years. They don't require any maintenance/service.
    You can buy a test kit to see if it's working or not.
    Since the tub was bought in 1994, should I assume that it's never been replaced and just replace it? Just wondering how much a test kit would be to test it?

4. Back To Top    #4

The ozone generator is probably cheaper than the test kit....

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    The ozone generator is probably cheaper than the test kit....
    And in my opinion just skip replacing it. I have had tubs with and without them and never noticed a difference.

I just follow these instuctions: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Hot tub not getting oxidized by ozone thingy

A properly functioning ozone generator can cut the amount of chlorine needed to oxidize bather waste in half. The downside to them is that, if they run all the time or if there is no way to control their run times, the ozone will react with chlorine and convert it to chloride when the tub is not being used by anyone and that will create an excess chlorine demand. Then there's also the on-going replacement costs assuming they still make replacement units for a tub that old. The ozone generator on a tub that old was probably intended to be used with bromine sanitation as ozone can oxidize bromide to bromine thus helping to keep bromine sanitizer levels up.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's really worth replacing it in your case.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    A properly functioning ozone generator can cut the amount of chlorine needed to oxidize bather waste in half. The downside to them is that, if they run all the time or if there is no way to control their run times, the ozone will react with chlorine and convert it to chloride when the tub is not being used by anyone and that will create an excess chlorine demand. Then there's also the on-going replacement costs assuming they still make replacement units for a tub that old. The ozone generator on a tub that old was probably intended to be used with bromine sanitation as ozone can oxidize bromide to bromine thus helping to keep bromine sanitizer levels up.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's really worth replacing it in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    So uses up the free chlorine too quickly without using the tub or any load? Should I just unhook the air hose from it then?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    So uses up the free chlorine too quickly without using the tub or any load? Should I just unhook the air hose from it then?
    If it generates ozone all the time and the ozone is added to the water, then yes, ozone will react with chlorine and convert the chlorine into chloride. Typically you don't want to sit in a bubbling hot tub with ozone in the water as its not healthy to breathe in. So I'm not 100% when they actually turn on or off.

However, in practice, I think most people with hot tubs that have ozone systems find them to be entirely useless - many say they could see no difference in water chemistry with or without them. So I wouldn't recommend that you go to too much trouble with it. Just disconnect the power supply and leave it be.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I have had my ozone generator disconnected for 6 years. I just use bromine tablets and non chlorine shock and get really good water quality.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Awilli8203 View Post
    I have had my ozone generator disconnected for 6 years. I just use bromine tablets and non chlorine shock and get really good water quality.
    Good to know thanks! I've disconnected it, don't see the little bubbles trailing up any more and it's quieter. I'll see how this affects the water chemistry with regards to the FC being used up...