Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water line won't go away

1. Back To Top    #1

Water line won't go away

My pool has a gray line around it right about where the water line is. I've tried cleaning it various ways including a brillo pad and a magic eraser, but aren't seeing any improvement.

Any ideas how I can get this to clear up?

IMG_0527.jpg
    15k gallon in ground fiberglass, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water line won't go away

Have tried some dilute muriatic acid to see if that helps lighten or remove it?

Fiberglass pool surfaces often suffer from calcium staining that is very hard to get rid of. You have to be very careful with abrasive cleaning methods like Brillo pads as they can damage the gelcoat surface on fiberglass and leave behind scratches that then get dirty and hard to clean. Even Magic Erasers are abrasive, just at a much finer level. Abrasive cleaning methods really should be a pool owners last resort.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Crushed vitamin C in a gym sock. Try it. It certainly can't hurt.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks both Matt and Bob. The vitamin C sounds easy enough so I'll try that later.

Matt, I did a quick search and it looks like I'd just mix some muriatic acid with water and put in a spray bottle to spray onto the wall then wipe off. Sound about right?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by juxta View Post
    Thanks both Matt and Bob. The vitamin C sounds easy enough so I'll try that later.

Matt, I did a quick search and it looks like I'd just mix some muriatic acid with water and put in a spray bottle to spray onto the wall then wipe off. Sound about right?
    Yup. Start off with a 5:1 (water:MA) dilution as that should be good enough. ALWAYS wear safety glasses even with diluted MA.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Please remember - Always Add Acid to water, and never the reverse.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for both the safety warnings.

I tried a 5:1 ratio today, but it didn't seem to have much, if any, effect. I tried a few different spots and durations (1-5 minutes before brushing it off). Should I try a higher concentration?

Bob, I still need to go out and get vitamin C to try that out. Been distracted by the holidays.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I like the Vitamin C approach. I take Vitamin C tablets one at a time and scrub the line with my fingers on the pool steps (mine are plastic and probably not fiberglass). The first time will be time consuming, but after this, you can probably use a general purpose cleaner. Because any spray will drip down as you are vertical, the MA may not sit long enough to remove the stain line.

This works great for me and removes the scum line that builds up on the steps, especially after a heavy rain. Good luck and keep us posted!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013