Clarifier mishap and question

M&M

Dec 13, 2015
Sweet Home, OR
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. We bought an older home with a pool and this is our first pool. Made a really stupid rookie error and put in a gal of clarifier instead of 6 oz and now we have a cloudy pool. The pool store we have been using said nothing to do except keep the chlorine at shock levels and ph at 7.5 and run the filter 24/7 and back flush as needed for about a month or more till it clears up. Does this sound correct and is there anything we can do to speed up this process. I feel like such a clutz. Thanks for any advice.:pale:

Welcome and ditto.

P.S. Now you can stay out of the pool store.

That is awesome! Trust us because we can, and will (if you follow the advice here), help you become not just a pool owner, but a proud, knowledgable, self-sufficient pool operator of a perfect, safe, sparkly pool! ...and the envy of most other pool owners.

btw, don't be frightened away by the cost of a recommended testkit. We PROMISE it will pay for itself over and over again if you follow our methods!

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post... YUP!!!! TFTestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whoopsie! lol

You don't need that hocus pocus voodoo stuff. :goodjob:

Shocking probably won't help much and may just make the problem worse. The main ingredient in this stuff is chitosan which is a long chained polysaccharide-based flocculant. What would probably work the fastest to add some DE (diatomaceous earth) to your sand filter to help clear the "clarifier" faster. You can see this Pool School article for instructions on how to do that - Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter. Another approach would be to turn off your filter pump and see how much of this floc will settle out to the bottom. If you have a multiport valve that has a vacuum-to-waste setting, you can simply vacuum out anything that settles to the bottom.

Be prepared to baby sit your sand filter. As the chitosan gets filtered out by it, it is going to clog up your filter and your pressure is going to increase. Whenever your pressure rises 25% over clean pressure, you need to backwash.

Good luck,

Matt

I just got back from an afternoon and evening of Star Wars. What a night... WOW! The Force Awakens!!!

Anyway, I am glad Matt was able to guide you about the ingredients in your clarifier and what to do about it!!! Please be sure and ask if you have ANY questions about the procedures.

I've never used a FLOC but I think I've read that it needs vacuumed slowly? Not sure but if you're bored, you could start reading pool school. We like to start new members with the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. Hey look.... a link in my signature.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

P.S. What color M&M is your favorite? :mrgreen:

Quick Update:
Test kit should be here Wed, will post results when it arrives. Using simple kit for now and PH=7.5 and chlorine is still burnt orange.
Using DE in sand filter per instructions, replacing DE when backwashing. Can see the bottom of the pool so it is going slow but it is going.
Looks like it could take up to another month or so and I'm now beginning to wonder if it will be worth it to close the pool, will wait and see what the weather is doing once we get the pool corrected.
Thanks again everyone for your help.
What color M&M is your favorite? :mrgreen:
All of them!!! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.