Chlorine consumption

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
Just got a new hottub . we have had one before using bromine this one uses chlorine. My tub keeps consuming chlorine within a day of adding I'm back to zero.. Any ideas? I am very familiar with the pool forum I love it..wondering if there is a slam process for tubs?

Can you post full test results? Is this a new hot tub? Was it ever cleaned with Ahh-some prior to startup? Does it have an ozonator or UV lamp in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Well I have only tested with the strips so far..ph is high at 7.8 as is ta at stabilizer good at 50..yes it Doe have a ozinator. .what is the best method to use ad far as sanitation? I did not clean it with anything because we bought it new..also seems like the foaming is pretty bad when I turn on the jets..not that I even trust the advice I get at the store but according to them i just add chlorine once a week and shock after we use it..

Well I have only tested with the strips so far..ph is high at 7.8 as is ta at stabilizer good at 50..yes it Doe have a ozinator. .what is the best method to use ad far as sanitation? I did not clean it with anything because we bought it new..also seems like the foaming is pretty bad when I turn on the jets..not that I even trust the advice I get at the store but according to them i just add chlorine once a week and shock after we use it..

Jody,

Please read the following sticky - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Even a brand new tub needs to be cleaned with a biofilm and degreasing agent like Ahh-some. The reason being is the fabrication process leaves lots oils and chemicals behind. Chlorine will not react with all of that and so it needs a full cleaner. The foaming you mention is a good indication that the tub has crud in it.

You need a good, high quality test kit. Strips are not going to cut it. Can you get a Taylor K-2006 test kit? That would work very well.

The ozonator is probably causing your excess chlorine demand as well as the junk in you tub water. Ozonators can increase chlorine consumption by as much as 50% when a tub is not being used. With daily usage, the ozonator can help increase the oxidation of bather waste but, if no waste is present, the ozone will react with and neutralize chlorine. Some hot tub owners disconnect their ozonators all together to avoid these issues or rig them to a timer so they can be turned off as-needed.

At this point you probably need to dump the tub and clean it so you can establish what your baseline chlorine demand is. Typically people will soak in a low FC tub and then add back enough FC to oxidize the bather waste and establish a residual FC until the next soak (typically 24 hours later). One uses dichlor as a chlorine source until the CYA has been built up to 30ppm and then they switch to bleach exclusively. TA is adjusted with acid to a low level of 50ppm or so to avoid pH rise during jetted tub use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.