Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump- How Much is too Much?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump- How Much is too Much?

I'm starting to get parts together for a Stenner install. I decided to go with a fixed 45MPHP, either the 3gpd or 10gpd...Assuming I add 1-2 qts/day, I'd run for 2-4 hrs for the 3gpd and 36-72 mins for the 10gpd. I'm assuming I'll be fine with the 10, but how fast can I safely add bleach to the system (just after the filter)?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump- How Much is too Much?

I have the 10gpd model. It puts out just under a ounce minute, even with low flow rates you should be okay.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

You are adding bleach to a flowing stream of water somewhere in the gallons per minute category so you can run it full out. While 3gpd can work I recommend the 10 gpd so you can decrease your pump run time.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought along the same lines- if the 10 gpd will be safe, it will be less wear on the pump. Thanks for the replies
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I went with the 3 gallon because i wired it to my pool controller and it only allows for 15 minute interval times. Just something you may want to consider depending on how you wire it up.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks...I'm using the ET1125CR, which can be programmed to the minute....I'll wire it so the Stenner can't run unless the pump is running....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

This summer I went with the 10 GPD fixed Stenner, connected to my Easy Touch 8 controller. I can control the Stenner to the Minute with the Easy Touch. Last summer was 65 Min per day to get about 1/2 gallon of bleach delivered. Now it is may be 3 minutes a day, twice a week to get the same FC and hold it (6 ppm for CYA of 50-60). I wired my 220 V Stenner pump from the Pump relay to the Stenner relay such that the Stenner cannot activate without the pump activated. I might wash out the Stenner and lines and store it for the Winter since it looks like Chlorine addition will be at a minimum until things heat up again.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

8. Back To Top    #8

Think about how fast you add bleach when you're manually dosing. You add all the bleach in a few seconds, so you could theoretically use a very large injection pump. Having said that, I'd recommend the 10gpd fixed rate pump and a timer that can be set to the minute.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Think about how fast you add bleach when you're manually dosing. You add all the bleach in a few seconds, so you could theoretically use a very large injection pump. Having said that, I'd recommend the 10gpd fixed rate pump and a timer that can be set to the minute.
    I considered that, but I'm adding it to the main pool area as opposed to the 1.5" return pipe, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't overdo it and ruin the pipe...
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

It will not ruin the pipe. You could run straight bleach through PVC a long time before it suffered major degradation.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    This summer I went with the 10 GPD fixed Stenner, connected to my Easy Touch 8 controller. I can control the Stenner to the Minute with the Easy Touch. Last summer was 65 Min per day to get about 1/2 gallon of bleach delivered. Now it is may be 3 minutes a day, twice a week to get the same FC and hold it (6 ppm for CYA of 50-60). I wired my 220 V Stenner pump from the Pump relay to the Stenner relay such that the Stenner cannot activate without the pump activated. I might wash out the Stenner and lines and store it for the Winter since it looks like Chlorine addition will be at a minimum until things heat up again.
    Did you take any pictures inside the EasyTouch of your wiring and what you added? I can be handy, but want to be careful with this thing and not fry a board inside the EasyTouch. I've got almost identical equipment to you. I'm just starting on the TFP method of chlorine and to investigate Stenner, but I know by Spring I'll be putting the Stenner in to keep up with the chlorine (my goal was to not to have to mess with the pool more than once a week when I put it in). Also how may actuators are you running (I've got 4) ? And which relay did you use for the pump if you don't mind sharing. I think the Easytouch is more powerful than I realized as others have also said they are running landscape lights etc from it - I didn't realize how many add on's you could have.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015