Silly robot question

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the hiatus, but now that work has finally settled down, I'm back in "thinking about pools" mode again.

I'm going to buy a robot before opening this spring, and so far it seems like the best choices for me are either A. Gamble on a SmartKleen or B. spend a little more on either an Aquabot or a Dolphin. I haven't decided which to do yet, but I did run across a question that didn't get answered in all of my reading.....

The robots are all listed as either "in-ground" or "above ground". Is there really a difference? Is there any reason why I can't buy an "inground" robot for my above ground pool?

Thanks.

Another thing to watch for about the "inground" robots, is that the manufacture states teh type of surface, i, e, all surfaces or plaster. The more powerful robots with multiple scrubbers may be too harsh on a vinyl liner.

Last year, another TFPer (cant remember his name) asked the same question as you are asking. He ended up getting a Dolphin Nautilus for his above aground, and he never posted any negative feedback about it. So I guess it works fine.

Personally, I do not know why a inground robot wont work in an above ground pool. For the life of me, I dont know why it wouldn't.

I also thought it was because some of the in ground cleaners have brushes which might damage the AG liner. Most AG robots that I have seen don't seem to have the brushes.

I think the distinction in IG and AG cleaners continues to blur. It seems it used to be the wall climbing ability that made a cleaner an IG.

I don't think they make a robot now that can't be used on any surface....not sure.

First, the general: [url]http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6514
[/URL]
And the specific: We have the Dolphin Nautilus and love it. To answer your specific question (AFAIK), the robot uses 3 different brush/climbing ring combinations.... and they tailor them for your pool surface. The robot actually travels on the climbing rings, situated at the outboard edges of the brushes. I know this because my Nautilus slowed down in forward and reverse motion and refused to climb the walls. Four foam rings later and it was like new!

Here's the parts breakdown: http://www.inyopools.com/parts_maytronics_dolphin_nautilus.aspx

Great info.

One more question for the Nautilus owners....

Based on the link above, it looks like parts are readily available. Is it easy to work on, both for replacing wearable items and for other repairs? No matter what robot I buy, I fully intend on doing all of the maintenance and repair work myself.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great info.

Based on the link above, it looks like parts are readily available. Is it easy to work on, both for replacing wearable items and for other repairs? No matter what robot I buy, I fully intend on doing all of the maintenance and repair work myself.

These folks have you covered....

Maintenance

Operation

Impeller Replacement

Impeller Cover Removal and Replacement

Bottom Lid R&R ... Filter Accesss

Rottom Lid Assembly Parts R&R

Tracks R&R

Cartridges R&R

R&R Combined Brushes

I have a Nautilus and it works great on my IG Vinyl. And it climbs the walls. Its going 3 years now and I havent had to replace any parts at all.

The scrubbers and tank tracks are soft rubber.

Dont know who available the Nautilus will be from now on. The Nautilus Plus is the latest version and its about the same price as I paid for mine. 575sih if I recall.

The Nautilus plus has the same drive system and scurbbers, but has a top loading filter and a handle to help assist getting it out of the water.
Let me tell ya, I wish I had a handle. It gets tiresome having to grab it with both hands and pull it out.

Great info.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

* I forgot to add this. One of the shortcoming of the robots shown is that the filter door is on the bottom. The newer units (probably more $$$$) have the door on the top. The older units are OK, but you really need to get into the pool and flip them upside down to take them out for cleaning. Otherwise they drop a lot of sand sized stuff (if present) from the filter.

The new Nautilus Plus has a top loading filter. And the price point from what I read is 575 - 600. Not too bad if you ask me.
If mine ever bites the dust, Im gonna get me one :)

* I forgot to add this. One of the shortcoming of the robots shown is that the filter door is on the bottom. The newer units (probably more $$$$) have the door on the top. The older units are OK, but you really need to get into the pool and flip them upside down to take them out for cleaning. Otherwise they drop a lot of sand sized stuff (if present) from the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.