Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Silly robot question

1. Back To Top    #1

Silly robot question

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the hiatus, but now that work has finally settled down, I'm back in "thinking about pools" mode again.

I'm going to buy a robot before opening this spring, and so far it seems like the best choices for me are either A. Gamble on a SmartKleen or B. spend a little more on either an Aquabot or a Dolphin. I haven't decided which to do yet, but I did run across a question that didn't get answered in all of my reading.....

The robots are all listed as either "in-ground" or "above ground". Is there really a difference? Is there any reason why I can't buy an "inground" robot for my above ground pool?

Thanks.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Silly robot question

Another thing to watch for about the "inground" robots, is that the manufacture states teh type of surface, i, e, all surfaces or plaster. The more powerful robots with multiple scrubbers may be too harsh on a vinyl liner.

Last year, another TFPer (cant remember his name) asked the same question as you are asking. He ended up getting a Dolphin Nautilus for his above aground, and he never posted any negative feedback about it. So I guess it works fine.

Personally, I do not know why a inground robot wont work in an above ground pool. For the life of me, I dont know why it wouldn't.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I also thought it was because some of the in ground cleaners have brushes which might damage the AG liner. Most AG robots that I have seen don't seem to have the brushes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

That's kinda what I thought too.

Can anyone give any insight into what kind of brushes are on the nautilus? Or better yet, anyone have a Nautilus on a vinyl pool?

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I think the distinction in IG and AG cleaners continues to blur. It seems it used to be the wall climbing ability that made a cleaner an IG.

I don't think they make a robot now that can't be used on any surface....not sure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I know mine will climb a vinyl walled pool no problem. Can't imagine why it wouldn't in an AG pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

First, the general: http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6514

And the specific: We have the Dolphin Nautilus and love it. To answer your specific question (AFAIK), the robot uses 3 different brush/climbing ring combinations.... and they tailor them for your pool surface. The robot actually travels on the climbing rings, situated at the outboard edges of the brushes. I know this because my Nautilus slowed down in forward and reverse motion and refused to climb the walls. Four foam rings later and it was like new!

Here's the parts breakdown: http://www.inyopools.com/parts_maytr..._nautilus.aspx

8. Back To Top    #8

Great info.

One more question for the Nautilus owners....

Based on the link above, it looks like parts are readily available. Is it easy to work on, both for replacing wearable items and for other repairs? No matter what robot I buy, I fully intend on doing all of the maintenance and repair work myself.

9. Back To Top    #9

The difference between a Hayward Navigator for plaster vs vinyl:

They are identical except the shoes that move it around.

Plaster cleaner uses nylon shoes

Vinyl cleaner uses cork shoes
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

When you buy the robot, does it come with all the different brushes/shoes? Or do you have to buy them separately?

(It's amazing that it's so hard to find these answers from the vendors/manufacturers.)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Great info.

Based on the link above, it looks like parts are readily available. Is it easy to work on, both for replacing wearable items and for other repairs? No matter what robot I buy, I fully intend on doing all of the maintenance and repair work myself.
    These folks have you covered....

Maintenance

Operation

Impeller Replacement

Impeller Cover Removal and Replacement

Bottom Lid R&R ... Filter Accesss

Rottom Lid Assembly Parts R&R

Tracks R&R

Cartridges R&R

R&R Combined Brushes

12. Back To Top    #12

When you buy the robot, does it come with all the different brushes/shoes? Or do you have to buy them separately?

(It's amazing that it's so hard to find these answers from the vendors/manufacturers.)
    Ours came with everything... including two sets of filters....

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Ours came with everything... including two sets of filters....
    This was exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for all of it.

Now I need to watch prices and see if I can find a preseason sale I can pounce on.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a Nautilus and it works great on my IG Vinyl. And it climbs the walls. Its going 3 years now and I havent had to replace any parts at all.

The scrubbers and tank tracks are soft rubber.

Dont know who available the Nautilus will be from now on. The Nautilus Plus is the latest version and its about the same price as I paid for mine. 575sih if I recall.

The Nautilus plus has the same drive system and scurbbers, but has a top loading filter and a handle to help assist getting it out of the water.
    Let me tell ya, I wish I had a handle. It gets tiresome having to grab it with both hands and pull it out.

Great info.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

* I forgot to add this. One of the shortcoming of the robots shown is that the filter door is on the bottom. The newer units (probably more $$$$) have the door on the top. The older units are OK, but you really need to get into the pool and flip them upside down to take them out for cleaning. Otherwise they drop a lot of sand sized stuff (if present) from the filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

The new Nautilus Plus has a top loading filter. And the price point from what I read is 575 - 600. Not too bad if you ask me.
    If mine ever bites the dust, Im gonna get me one

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    * I forgot to add this. One of the shortcoming of the robots shown is that the filter door is on the bottom. The newer units (probably more $$$$) have the door on the top. The older units are OK, but you really need to get into the pool and flip them upside down to take them out for cleaning. Otherwise they drop a lot of sand sized stuff (if present) from the filter.
    Divin Dave,

17. Back To Top    #17

Let me throw in another "trick" I read somewhere.... as the sun comes up, put the wire on the pool apron and let it heat with the sun. It will become very pliable and you can remove any twists and kinks....

18. Back To Top    #18

Big thumbs up on the AquaBot

............................................................ ........................
    Kayak Pool - 12 ft. x 24 ft. rectangular, 5˝ ft. deep end
    Frog System, Sta-Rite-Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Pentair 1 H.P. pump
    AquaPRO Pro500 heat pump & Automatic AutoGuard™ Pool safety cover
    ............................................................ ........................

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by cjd3060 View Post
    Big thumbs up on the AquaBot

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Which Model Aquabot ? The only one I found is Discontinued >> ABTRT2R1 Turbo T2 - $1,129 Amazon
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.