Spa Losing Level

Dec 17, 2015
Houston TX
Hi everyone !

I have exactly the same problem and it seems to happen to a lot of pool owners from what I can see on the forums...

I bought the house 4 months ago and there are several problems that I have to address and I kind of want to solve this one since it seems to be the easiest one.

So I have this raised spa with a spillover to the pool and the level of the spa is going down until it reaches the pool level when I turn off the circulation pump. FYI I do not have a spa by-pass line.

I already ran some tests and here are the results:

- Spillover mode (Suction valve in pool position / Return valve in pool and spa position): the level is going down when I turn the pump off.
- Pool mode (Suction valve in pool position / Return valve in pool position): the level is NOT going down when I turn the pump off.

So the problem occurs when the return valve is not in pool position only (meaning that the return to the spa is closed). I haven't tried with the spa mode yet so maybe I should do that tonight.

I replaced the check valve yesterday (not the whole valve, only the flapper assembly : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E6SZS6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 ) and the spa is still draining into the pool.

I still believe the problem is the check valve since even though the return valve (3-way automated valve) was faulty, the water in the return line should be blocked by the check valve first, am I correct ?

I think I am clear enough and I really hope we can figure it out. The only good thing is that it is a good way to learn the pool

Thank you very much
G

Depending on the valve setup, the spa will drain if the spa return valve is left open. Does the water stop draining once it gets down to the returns? A picture of the pad will help let us see what the configuration is.

By the way, welcome to TFP!

Thank you !

There is a check valve between the pool and the return valve. As I mentioned earlier I replaced the flapper of the check valve but it did not fix the issue. The level is dropping until it reaches the same level as the pool.

I will upload a picture of the setup tomorrow morning !

Thank you !

There is a check valve between the pool and the return valve. As I mentioned earlier I replaced the flapper of the check valve but it did not fix the issue. The level is dropping until it reaches the same level as the pool.

I will upload a picture of the setup tomorrow morning !

I am having the same exact issue i am Subscribing to your thread you can do the same for mine as well if you like. Its driving me crazy.

HERE IS THE LINK: Spa draining to pool lvl when pump is off.

I am having the same exact issue i am Subscribing to your thread you can do the same for mine as well if you like. Its driving me crazy.

HERE IS THE LINK: Spa draining to pool lvl when pump is off.

I shut the pump down almost two hours ago and the level has not been going down so far. I will check again tomorrow morning but at least replacing the check valve has slown down the water draining to the spa. I will keep you posted.

Here is a picture of the setup of the pool. If you have the same setup I suggest you replace the check valve like I did.

View attachment 44249

Last edited:
I shut the pump down almost two hours ago and the level has not been going down so far. I will check again tomorrow morning but at least replacing the check valve has slown down the water draining to the spa. I will keep you posted.

Here is a picture of the setup of the pool. If you have the same setup I suggest you replace the check valve like I did.

But you said had replaced the flapper and nothing happened you had to replace the whole valve? As in the complete assembly?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I replaced the flapper last night, not the whole valve. The level went down overnight. Right now it's been 3 hours only so I will check again in the morning and I will keep you posted!

Please do, i took mine apart and it did not look worn or in bad shape as if it had been changed within the year or so but from what i am reading these valves seem to be a weak point in the spa return and ware in no time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just replaced a check valve assembly this week for my spa as it was leaking about 4" of water overnight. On inspecting the new and old flappers, there was a very minor deformation in the old flapper that must have been causing the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.