Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Losing Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Losing Level

Hi everyone !

I have exactly the same problem and it seems to happen to a lot of pool owners from what I can see on the forums...

I bought the house 4 months ago and there are several problems that I have to address and I kind of want to solve this one since it seems to be the easiest one.

So I have this raised spa with a spillover to the pool and the level of the spa is going down until it reaches the pool level when I turn off the circulation pump. FYI I do not have a spa by-pass line.

I already ran some tests and here are the results:

- Spillover mode (Suction valve in pool position / Return valve in pool and spa position): the level is going down when I turn the pump off.
    - Pool mode (Suction valve in pool position / Return valve in pool position): the level is NOT going down when I turn the pump off.

So the problem occurs when the return valve is not in pool position only (meaning that the return to the spa is closed). I haven't tried with the spa mode yet so maybe I should do that tonight.

I replaced the check valve yesterday (not the whole valve, only the flapper assembly : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00 ) and the spa is still draining into the pool.

I still believe the problem is the check valve since even though the return valve (3-way automated valve) was faulty, the water in the return line should be blocked by the check valve first, am I correct ?

I think I am clear enough and I really hope we can figure it out. The only good thing is that it is a good way to learn the pool

Thank you very much
    G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Losing Level

Depending on the valve setup, the spa will drain if the spa return valve is left open. Does the water stop draining once it gets down to the returns? A picture of the pad will help let us see what the configuration is.

By the way, welcome to TFP!
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you !

There is a check valve between the pool and the return valve. As I mentioned earlier I replaced the flapper of the check valve but it did not fix the issue. The level is dropping until it reaches the same level as the pool.

I will upload a picture of the setup tomorrow morning !

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gbraillon View Post
    Thank you !

There is a check valve between the pool and the return valve. As I mentioned earlier I replaced the flapper of the check valve but it did not fix the issue. The level is dropping until it reaches the same level as the pool.

I will upload a picture of the setup tomorrow morning !
    I am having the same exact issue i am Subscribing to your thread you can do the same for mine as well if you like. Its driving me crazy.

HERE IS THE LINK: Spa draining to pool lvl when pump is off.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bluediamond View Post
    I am having the same exact issue i am Subscribing to your thread you can do the same for mine as well if you like. Its driving me crazy.

HERE IS THE LINK: Spa draining to pool lvl when pump is off.
    I shut the pump down almost two hours ago and the level has not been going down so far. I will check again tomorrow morning but at least replacing the check valve has slown down the water draining to the spa. I will keep you posted.

Here is a picture of the setup of the pool. If you have the same setup I suggest you replace the check valve like I did.

Attachment 44249
    Last edited by gbraillon; 12-18-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added picture of the pad

6. Back To Top    #6

I shut the pump down almost two hours ago and the level has not been going down so far. I will check again tomorrow morning but at least replacing the check valve has slown down the water draining to the spa. I will keep you posted.

Here is a picture of the setup of the pool. If you have the same setup I suggest you replace the check valve like I did.
    But you said had replaced the flapper and nothing happened you had to replace the whole valve? As in the complete assembly?

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I replaced the flapper last night, not the whole valve. The level went down overnight. Right now it's been 3 hours only so I will check again in the morning and I will keep you posted!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I replaced the flapper last night, not the whole valve. The level went down overnight. Right now it's been 3 hours only so I will check again in the morning and I will keep you posted!
    Please do, i took mine apart and it did not look worn or in bad shape as if it had been changed within the year or so but from what i am reading these valves seem to be a weak point in the spa return and ware in no time.

9. Back To Top    #9

I recommend you buy a replacement online on Amazon and try. If it doesn't change anything you can return it. That's what I would do

10. Back To Top    #10

Did the new flapper assembly stop the leak or just slow it down?

How low does the water drain in the spa? Is it just below the lowest return jet in the spa or lower?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I am interested in knowing as well.

12. Back To Top    #12

Guys, I just got home and I checked the spa. It looks like the new flapper did the trick since the water level did not go down. The old flapper did not look damaged and yet it was the problem.

Now we have to fix yours !

13. Back To Top    #13

Guys, I just got home and I checked the spa. It looks like the new flapper did the trick since the water level did not go down. The old flapper did not look damaged and yet it was the problem.

Now we have to fix yours !
    Just ordered mine, as soon as i read your reply COMMON CHECK VAVLVE! lol

Amazon.com: Zodiac 7056 Cover with Flapper Assembly Replacement Kit for Zodiac Jandy Spring Check Valve: Patio, Lawn Garden

14. Back To Top    #14

You should get the lube that goes with it !

15. Back To Top    #15

I just replaced a check valve assembly this week for my spa as it was leaking about 4" of water overnight. On inspecting the new and old flappers, there was a very minor deformation in the old flapper that must have been causing the leak.

16. Back To Top    #16

So to add to this i "Canceled" the order for the valve and as i was going through the pipes again i noticed that the 3-Way valve from the pump and filter to the Spa Jets was OPEN closed it and its been about 3 hours and no draining.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bluediamond View Post
    So to add to this i "Canceled" the order for the valve and as i was going through the pipes again i noticed that the 3-Way valve from the pump and filter to the Spa Jets was OPEN closed it and its been about 3 hours and no draining.
    So you have to open the valve every single time ? You still have a check valve that should keep the water from coming back to the pool ...