Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CSI and balanced spa water

1. Back To Top    #1

CSI and balanced spa water

Does the csi number matter for above ground spas or is that more important for inground pools?

Reason I ask is my,hot tub is at -.8 csi. Partially because my TA is 40. But for some reason having the TA any higher than that causes the PH to always be around 8.

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CSI and balanced spa water

Is it a stand alone fiberglass tub? No, CSI is not important. Especially not a negative CSI. It is only important in plaster pools and spas.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Is it a stand alone fiberglass tub? No, CSI is not important. Especially not a negative CSI. It is only important in plaster pools and spas.
    Yes it is a stand alone.

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you added 50ppm borates to your water, then you might be able to raise your TA up to 50-60ppm since the borates will act as an additional pH buffer. Then you can probably get your CSI a little higher.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    If you added 50ppm borates to your water, then you might be able to raise your TA up to 50-60ppm since the borates will act as an additional pH buffer. Then you can probably get your CSI a little higher.
    Any advantage to do this or since csi isn't a problem should i leave as is?

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates are a nice add for a variety of reasons. We use them in our pool and hot tub. Here is a write up on borates, Borates - Why and How.

Here is the process we have used for two years to maintain our hot tub, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?, we are very happy with this method. We also add epsom salts.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by daveooph View Post
    Any advantage to do this or since csi isn't a problem should i leave as is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    It is highly recommended to use them in a chlorine spa. Borates add to the buffering capacity of the water and are very good at slowing down pH rise. In a hot tub, as you have found out, you typically want to keep your TA low as the outgassing of CO2 from the hot, jetted water creates a large pH rise. The problem is, if TA is too low, you can crash it to 0ppm and, in turn, crash your pH as well. So borates not only add buffering capacity against pH rise but also let you operate at a lower TA without fear of crashing the pH. They are also considered a supplemental algaecide and so you might see reduced chlorine demand using them as well.

As pooldv pointed out, there is a sticky on the use of chlorine in hot tubs and part of that sticky talks about the benefits of adding borates.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates