First time post, help with test exults and pool balance.

Dec 16, 2015
Houston, Tx
I bought the TF-100 test kit and have been testing for a couple weeks. Here are my results.

PH 8.2. (The best I can tell by matching colors)
FC 8.5
CC .5
CH 275
TA 150
CYA 90
( filters are only 3 months old, and we're just cleaned 2 weeks ago)

All Algae went away after I replaced filter cartridges 3View attachment 44231 months ago. Now I am seeing Algae. I haven't added any chlorine (tab or bleach) for 2 weeks. FC is still 8.5. According to FC/CYA chart I should bring FC upto shock level of 35 (I am in the Asterick range on the chart) Is this correct? I know my CYA is high and I need to lower my Ph before I Slam, but 35 seems so really high. FYI, we are planning to go with pebble tech in a couple months, that is why I haven't drained pool to lower CYA.

Pool water is otherwise clear...just seeing green Algae on some stairs, and in the attached spa.

your expert advice is much appreciated.

cheers.

PS...can't figure out how to place picture at bottom of post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 40
Welcome! No matter what you do, you need to get your pH within testable ranges as it may be higher than 8.2 as that's as high as your kit can go. Lower it to 7.5 using MA (muriatic acid) according to pool math and then retest an hour or two later. (Some say only a half hour, but my pool takes 2 hours). Let us know.

If you're going to redo the plaster in a few months and have no intention of swimming until next season,
I'd probably just maintain it as is without slamming.

if not:

I know this sounds a bit conflicting but since you do need to SLAM, best to get the ph down to 7.2 first
then bring it back to 7.5 when the slam is done.

And yes FC of 35 will be necessary to kill this off at a cya of 90.

I had that cya of 90 and a mustard algae issue last june.

be prepared for strange looks and questions from strangers at the grocery store
when you buy out the bleach shelf.

based on my SLAM you will likely go through about 26 gallons of bleach before you are done,
but I'd only get 10-12 at a time in case it ends up less.

Also do the overnight chlorine loss test at least 3 times...once is seldom enough to confirm
the algae is erradicated.

pump on 24/7 during the slam and don't forget to brush the entire pool once or twice daily during the slam.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

FYI, we are planning to go with pebble tech in a couple months,
Then let your pool go. It is pointless to balance a pool that will be drained in 60 days at this time of year.

While your pool is being replastered, I would read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll begin to teach you how your numbers got bad in the first place (yes, those are bad numbers) and what you can do to prevent that from reoccurring when your newly refinished pool id full.

Thanks for all the great responses. The pool came with the house we bought last July, so I have no idea how it was cared for before then. When I took control, I was told to keep the chlorinator full of tabs,shock every week and take water sample to pool store every 2 weeks. Then I found this website and realized the above method wasn't working.

The chlorinator has been emptied and turned off. I want to continue to maintain the pool between now and resurfacing, because we like to use the spa with the heater on.

what level of FC is safe to go I the pool/spa?

cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.