CH Drop

Yes, adding water is about the only way it could lower.

You have a new pool with significant potential issues from the "cloud" the PB created. I think the CH issue may be related. Would you please post this same question on one of your more active previous threads? This thread may be your best option due to the quality of the followers:
Mottling

It is important for us to know your history as you are in the process of dealing with major! issues.

The CH has been normal since the beginning. We had a heavy rain since my last normal test. The chemicals have been testing normal. I'm not sure why my post about the original start up is referenced or would have bearing to CH drop after a significant rainfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured today and my calcium hardness was 250. I measured twice just to make sure. It had been around 350. What would cause such a drop? Poolmath says I need to add about 25lbs to get it back into range.
To get back into what range? What does Pool School say about acceptable range for CH.

CH does not drop on it's own. Rainfall won't change it that much. What's left? Testing error is the only thing I can conceive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
could the rainfall have displaced over 6,000 gallons of water? It would have had to have spilled over the coping or was pumped out. Did either of those occur?

It did get drained out through the overflow and into the yard. I seriously doubt I lost 6000 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

To get back into what range? What does Pool School say about acceptable range for CH.

CH does not drop on it's own. Rainfall won't change it that much. What's left? Testing error is the only thing I can conceive.

Well I test anything that is not in normal range twice to make sure that it is tested correctly. The only difference is that I used the speed stir. So the only error would be that the speed stir causes a difference in reading due to the amount the solution is mixed.

The only difference is that I used the speed stir. So the only error would be that the speed stir causes a difference in reading due to the amount the solution is mixed.
If you are saying you hand stirred for the 350 result and the speedstir for the 250 result then you have your answer. It is very common for this to drop when changing from hand stirring to usin a speedstir.

I'm going to pick up some calcium chloride. Being that the pool has been filled for a month, should I raise to 350 or just raise slightly since it's currently 250? They haven't put the salt in yet so I'm still treating it as a bleach pool. Being that the water is 52 degrees, should I dilute in a bucket first or broadcast?

Your numbers are fine where they are now since they yield a CSI of -0.26.

The decision to add calcium is going to based on the CH of your fill water, the rate of evaporation you expect to experience, and the average annual rainfall. I my area, with so little rain, we constantly fight rising calcium levels so adding calcium would only make the problem worse and require a water replacement sooner than if no calcium was added.

Once you add salt to the pool, your CSI will drop further to -0.49 (assuming 3200 ppm and your current numbers). It would be best for you to target a pH of 7.6-7.8 and maintain the TA around 60-70.

Use Pool Math to calculate The CSI for you. Shoot for +0.1 to -0.2

Other factors play into the aggressiveness of the water, thats what the CSI is for. The actual calcium content in the water has surprisingly little to do with it.

PH has the biggest effect, so keeping the pH on the higher side of things will help (in addition to requiring less acid to maintain), TA has the next biggest impact. Play with some numbers in pool math and see how the CSI changes.

Plaster degradation occurs around -0.7 (which you are well above), and even then, its a slow process.

Your calcium level is fine where it is now. The recommended levels are nothing more than a guideline to simplify things for those that don't use the CSI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.