newbees to swimming pools

Dec 15, 2015
Celina Ohio
We are a retired couple and recently purchased a house that is 1,400 square feet of living area and 1,100 square feet area with a 14' X 28' lap pool. Before we could use it the first time we needed to replace the pool heater. since then we have gotten into it with much satisfaction. We are still in the learning curve regarding the chemicals and maintenance and when consulting with a supplier of pool chemicals (also a builder) I revealed that I use the pool cover when the pool is not in use to reduce evaporation and maintain pool temp. The supplier gave me a bottle of Natural Chemistry "Cover Free and suggested that I use it instead of keeping the pool cover on as much. After adding the chemicals needed to balance the chemistry and some clarifier, I added 4 oz. of the Cover Free. 4 hours later I found what looked like pieces of snot floating in the pool and the skimmer basket was loaded with it. I immediately shut the pump down but do not know where to go from here fearing that the pool filter may be clogged with the stuff or how it might be affecting my new pool heater. Any ideas???

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

As you have just discovered, "professionals" who make their living selling you stuff find reasons to sell you stuff. Use your cover, that is why you have it.

Is there a pressure gauge on your sand filter? If so backwash the filter and note the pressure. You will backwash again when the pressure rises 20-25%.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with this: ABCs of Water Chemistry

How are you testing the water? Do yourself a favor, order a TF100 That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use. I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

No pool store is going to test or care for your pool as well as you will.

Welcome to TFP.

So sorry the pool store sold you snot in a bottle tg ats now in your pool. I would imagine that elevated chlorine levels could break that down n get rid of it. As already recommended, a TF100 would be your best option for for testing and staying away from potions the pool store is so willing to sell you.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

"I really thought this stuff would be helpful but it's snot" (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.:cry:)

I seriously doubt you'll have any long term issues at all. Physically remove all you can. Then, get your pump cranked back up. Note the psi on your filter and watch that carefully. If that psi increases by around 25%, perform a backwash. That should do it. The pump is pretty tough and can handle even rocks going through it. You just want to make sure you backwash the debris out of your sand filter.

The combination of the clarifier and the Cover Free may have been the issue. Regardless, you have no need for either one of them.

Last thing on the list is to stay on this forum and learn about pool chemistry and all the ways you can manage yourself so you don't have to deal with some snotty salesman.

I just wanted to add my HI! And HUGS! It is quite a learning curve with a pool and we have all been there. Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have on how YOU can maintain your pool using stuff you can get from Target and Lowes!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

"I really thought this stuff would be helpful but it's snot" (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.:cry:)

I seriously doubt you'll have any long term issues at all. Physically remove all you can. Then, get your pump cranked back up. Note the psi on your filter and watch that carefully. If that psi increases by around 25%, perform a backwash. That should do it. The pump is pretty tough and can handle even rocks going through it. You just want to make sure you backwash the debris out of your sand filter.

The combination of the clarifier and the Cover Free may have been the issue. Regardless, you have no need for either one of them.

Last thing on the list is to stay on this forum and learn about pool chemistry and all the ways you can manage yourself so you don't have to deal with some snotty salesman.

SNORT! Dave you are on quite a roll here! hehe!