Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help identify pool stain and treatment!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help identify pool stain and treatment!

Can someone help identify the types of stains in my pool. I recently purchased the house and would like to get rid of them. Thanks in advance!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help identify pool stain and treatment!

With all that organic debris in there, it could just be organic. Just a thought.

The first thing you need to do is get a good test kit: Pool School - Test Kits Compared so we can figure out some things about your pool.

Next, please tell us about your pool: Create a Signature.

Please put the following information in your signature. The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
    19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. This helps the people answering your questions by providing the basic information that affects nearly all of our recommendations.

To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's going to be either organic or metal.

Do you have any history on the pool? A quick test with a trichlor puck for organic or vitamin C tablet for metal will let you know which stain you're dealing with. If this is a liner pool, do not use a puck on it as you'll bleach it out. Your pool looks like it may be plastered.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It's going to be either organic or metal.

Do you have any history on the pool? A quick test with a trichlor puck for organic or vitamin C tablet for metal will let you know which stain you're dealing with. If this is a liner pool, do not use a puck on it as you'll bleach it out. Your pool looks like it may be plastered.
    Not much history since I just moved in. The pool is plaster and there are a lot of leaves that we have already picked up. I went to leslies and the tests are pretty good. I think it may be organic since its mostly on the steps and then near the drains at the bottom where the pump sucks the water from. Would I take the trichlor puck and rub the stains with it?? Below are the rest results.

5. Back To Top    #5

Rub a stain with a puck. If it disappears, its organic in nature. Chlorine and brushing will get rid of it over time.

You should really look into purchasing a TF100 Test kit. I have a link in my signature. I know you can get this free testing at the pool store but we don't go off of levels that are ok, good, high n low. With the TF100, you'll get accurate testing, won't be pressured to buy chemicals you don't need, and if you run into trouble with algae, you'll be able to SLAM the pool n perform OCLT. You can't do that at a pool store.

Also, read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in my signature.

6. Back To Top    #6

You are already looking for solutions. We can help; pool store probably can't!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Rub a stain with a puck. If it disappears, its organic in nature. Chlorine and brushing will get rid of it over time.

You should really look into purchasing a TF100 Test kit. I have a link in my signature. I know you can get this free testing at the pool store but we don't go off of levels that are ok, good, high n low. With the TF100, you'll get accurate testing, won't be pressured to buy chemicals you don't need, and if you run into trouble with algae, you'll be able to SLAM the pool n perform OCLT. You can't do that at a pool store.

Also, read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in my signature.
    Ill try the puck out this weekend. Ill go with your advise and purchase the TF100. I just purchased aquachek 4 in 1 test strips but they seem very inaccurate and i have a hard time matching the colors. Thus why i went to leslies. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Pool Info - IG Plaster, ~13k Gal, 2HP ECO Hayward Pump, Polaris P825 Cleaner, Cartridge Filter, Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Michael982 View Post
    Ill try the puck out this weekend. Ill go with your advise and purchase the TF100. I just purchased aquachek 4 in 1 test strips but they seem very inaccurate and i have a hard time matching the colors. Thus why i went to leslies. Thanks for the help everyone!
    If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Great decision!!!!!! We can so help now!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Michael982 View Post
    I was reading the printout they gave you n in the block below, they say your FC is high n want you to add a de-chlorinating chemical. Our advice to you is opposite. You need to raise FC which is dependant on your CYA level and brush the pool daily until stains are gone.

11. Back To Top    #11

Another good catch. Personally, I ignore pool testing advice, so I didn't even read beyond the numbers and certainly did not read the gobbledygook.