Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ph Question

1. Back To Top    #1

ph Question

When I check my FC, it is the same anywhere in the pool I test. My ph ranges from 7.2-8.0 depending on where in the pool I take it. In both cases I use a water sample 18" from the surface.
    Is this usual?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: ph Question

Is this usual?
    Absolutely not. If the water is circulating correctly in your pool, ALL chemistry should be almost identical regardless from where you take the sample.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Make sure your washing out the tube well each time. Slowly, painfully slowly, one drop at a time with bottle fully upright.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just needed to add 2 gal of chlorine to my pool and then checked the ph. It looks like it went way off the chart high 8+. Is that normal?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ph rise right after dosing of chlorine is normal. It will come back down. Did you establish what your correct ph was?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm going to double rinse the testing tube each time. Maybe that was causing different readings. I got 8.0 in 2 locations and 7.0 in 2 locations.

7. Back To Top    #7

I rinse first with tap, (often swishing with my finger along the sides), rinse again with tap, then rinse with pool water, then test.

8. Back To Top    #8

How many returns do you have in the pool? I see its 45 years old. It's probably got dead spots n perhaps the reason why you're getting conflicting results.

If you haven't already, Pool School is full of educational literature to help you understand your pool, chemistry and equipment.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

If you do post more ph readings that are that far apart, it might help to describe locations of readings, specifically distance between the most disparate readings, proximity to pool returns, if pump is running and proximity in time to any addition of pool chems. But as per earlier posts, hard to fathom how there could be such a wide disparity in ph levels.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Update

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was confused about why my ph got different readings (7.8+7.2) at different spots in the pool.
    Turns out that the readings were low near the return jet area and high in a area furthest away.

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Update

Philo-

Could you put this post with your original so it will all tie together? I have an old brain, LOL, and it always needs refreshing!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad you figured out your issue, though!

Threads merged by mods...
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Update

How are you chlorinating the pool. Any use of trichlor tablets in a feeder?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Good question JV, I was thinking that or pH Automation. Do let us know Philo, this is highly unusual, so there must be something causing it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

No tablets, no ph automation. Just 2.5 gallons of chlorine once a week .
    Doesn't aeration raise ph?

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, aeration raises PH.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Then there is no reason to get varying pH reading like that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

If there is no use of trichlor tablets or other chemical introduction, I can't come up with a reasoning for this lower pH near returns versus other areas of the pool. Unless when you're testing each location, you happen to be using different backgrounds behind the color match test, skewing the results in one location versus the other.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons