Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about cover pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about cover pump

I bought a Sta-Rite Trident D175120T cover pump. Reading the instructions it mentioned installing pump in a sump pit? Is this something i have to do? I just thought i could put the pump onto the cover and itd pump the water off. I also noticed this is like 10 pounds, this wont hurt the vinyl cover will it?
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Question about cover pump

Most likely what will happen is if you try to rest the pump on the cover, it will suck up the vinyl, blocking any waterflow. My pump was about 5 lbs and that's what happened. I leaned mine to the side, making sure it didn't suck any air...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Question about cover pump

If there is a problem, you can usually attach a cheap plastic plate, or something similar, to the bottom to spread the weight across the cover and prevent the cover from blocking the input.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School