Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One week report with my PoolCleaner Next Generation

1. Back To Top    #1

One week report with my PoolCleaner Next Generation

I did a little research recently on suction side cleaners (much of it here) and decided to get The PoolCleaner Next Generation by Hayward (Previously Poolvergnuegen). I liked that it could climb walls, vacuum algae, and seemed to get good ratings from some very experienced experts here. So here's what I learned. Since being bought by Hayward they changed the shape of the bottom with an inverted "V" instead of a flat base. This was supposed to keep it from getting caught on the bottom suction grates. And it worked great, I've watched it straddle the grates and just bump over with no trouble. Apparently this also raised the suction port which kept it from being able to climb the walls. Then I saw a video where they recommended changing the suction port to the large (3 different sizes are shipped with the unit now). This worked like a charm! It climbs so high now that it climbs completely out of the water and sometimes gets air sucked into the pump that takes a few minutes to restart (luckily I've got a self-priming pump). I don't think this really hurts anything but when I'm out of town I think I'll reduce the suction back to the medium port and just let it clean the bottom. I'm not really sure this is even an issue but other than this the PoolCleaner is working superbly. I came back recently after 2 weeks of no cleaning and it had the bottom absolutely spotless in less than 2 days.

Any thoughts from you PoolCleaner owners on my aggressive climber?

2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump,Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: One week report with my PoolCleaner Next Generation

Thanks for that in-depth report. I wondered if Hayward would change anything, and am glad to hear it's for the better.

Please keep us posted throughout the coming year about how it hold up, etc..
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

South Florida

Re: One week report with my PoolCleaner Next Generation

Good feedback. I have the original 2 wheel version for about 2 years now and it has served me well. I just replaced the wheels for the first time about a month ago. It has been a much more reliable cleaner than my old Hayward Navigator.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump