Salt Water Test Returning High Value

Oct 13, 2015
Tampa, Fl
I just switched to salt and was using the Taylor 0630 and 0718 bottles to test the water. After adding a drop of 0630 to 10ml of water and then adding 0718 I am getting 18 drops in before it turns from milky white to salmon/brick red color. So I felt I was on the high level for my salt. However the swg is saying it is only 2800. So I took a sample up to the pool store a few minutes ago and they confirmed what the swg is seeing. So now I'm not sure what I am doing wrong to be getting high values. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Most SWGs do not correct for low temperature readings and will show a lower salt value. I would trust that your Taylor Test is correct. I also speculate that it was a fluke the pool store just happened to be consistent with the SWG reading.

My salt cell is reading 600-700 ppm lower than it did when the water was warmer.

What makes you think your salt level is high? What SWG are you using?

The system calls for 3200 and test was showing 3600, so I considered that high just because it was over what it called for. Its a Crystal Pure CL-60. The local pool store is usually pretty good so I am having a hard time doubting what they are showing. I added another bag when I got back and its already showing about 3300. It will probably go down a little bit once everything filters through. The temp of the water is in the low 70's as well.

Most SWGs have a wide range of salinity levels that they will operate. The cells don't actually measure the salt level, they determine a value based on conductivity which is why you may be experiencing a variance.

Keep in mind that any form chlorine (liquid, dichlor/trichlor) and acid also add salt to the pool. 1 gallon of acid will add around 35ppm of salt...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.