Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water Test Returning High Value

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Test Returning High Value

I just switched to salt and was using the Taylor 0630 and 0718 bottles to test the water. After adding a drop of 0630 to 10ml of water and then adding 0718 I am getting 18 drops in before it turns from milky white to salmon/brick red color. So I felt I was on the high level for my salt. However the swg is saying it is only 2800. So I took a sample up to the pool store a few minutes ago and they confirmed what the swg is seeing. So now I'm not sure what I am doing wrong to be getting high values. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    12,000gal in-ground pool/spa 12x26/plaster, 1.5hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pentair Clear & Clear RP 100 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Salt Water Test Returning High Value

Most SWGs do not correct for low temperature readings and will show a lower salt value. I would trust that your Taylor Test is correct. I also speculate that it was a fluke the pool store just happened to be consistent with the SWG reading.

My salt cell is reading 600-700 ppm lower than it did when the water was warmer.

What makes you think your salt level is high? What SWG are you using?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

The system calls for 3200 and test was showing 3600, so I considered that high just because it was over what it called for. Its a Crystal Pure CL-60. The local pool store is usually pretty good so I am having a hard time doubting what they are showing. I added another bag when I got back and its already showing about 3300. It will probably go down a little bit once everything filters through. The temp of the water is in the low 70's as well.
    12,000gal in-ground pool/spa 12x26/plaster, 1.5hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pentair Clear & Clear RP 100 filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Most SWGs have a wide range of salinity levels that they will operate. The cells don't actually measure the salt level, they determine a value based on conductivity which is why you may be experiencing a variance.

Keep in mind that any form chlorine (liquid, dichlor/trichlor) and acid also add salt to the pool. 1 gallon of acid will add around 35ppm of salt...
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page