Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap Calcium with free shipping from Staples

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap Calcium with free shipping from Staples

I know I have seen discussions in the past where people who live in areas where there is no snow (and no ice melt) find it difficult to get cheap Calcium Chloride because shipping kills the deal.

Staples has 50lb Calcium Chloride for $15.99 with free ship to store or free shipping when you use your Staples Rewards Membership.

http://www.staples.com/Snow-Joe-MELT...roduct_1917537
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap Calcium with free shipping from Staples

WHAT????????? That is NOT a place I would have thought to look for snow melt! Good find!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I am having a serious war with my bargain hunter alter ego, starting to feel like my depression era grandfather "we need to stock up you never know what can happen you may need it". It only takes me 2.5LB to move my CH by 25ppm so what would I do with 50LB? (but it is such a good deal...) anyone want to split one 4 ways (kidding). Still even the 10LB they have for $9 is a decent deal.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would be careful with htis product. Apparently from the reviews at Amazon it is not really calcium chloride: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Snow Joe MELT50CC Melt Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter Resealable Bag, 50-Pound
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I would be careful with htis product. Apparently from the reviews at Amazon it is not really calcium chloride: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Snow Joe MELT50CC Melt Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter Resealable Bag, 50-Pound
    Anyone have recommendations for a product they know is good?

16,388 gallons, IG, Pebble Sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair Whisperflow Pump, August 2015, Taylor K-2006, spa

6. Back To Top    #6

I order from The Chemistry Store and have been completely satisfied with both the product and the customer service Calcium Chloride Anhydrous - ChemistryStore.com
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

7. Back To Top    #7

Good Point! I bought some of this misrepresented junk at wally world. IIRC, it is more sodium chloride than calcium chloride.

Now, if somebody could find Peladow or Dowflake, I'm all over it.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    I order from The Chemistry Store and have been completely satisfied with both the product and the customer service Calcium Chloride Anhydrous - ChemistryStore.com
    Their prices are nearly on par with Leslie's and with Leslie's there is no shipping involved.... even the 200 miles from the Chemistry Store to me is a killer..... YMMV.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    with Leslie's there is no shipping involved....
    That depends on where you live and how much time you're willing to spend getting to one.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    That depends on where you live and how much time you're willing to spend getting to one.
    I guess I forgot. Having lived in Caney Fork, NC for a couple of years, I feel your pain....

10. Back To Top    #10

I bought the snow melt off of Amazon and it did NOT raise my CH. Turns out it was not calcium but rather was sodium. Amazon refunded my money and I bought Calcium from Leslie.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

Any new cheap source for confirmed calcium chloride? I need about 10 pounds and dont want to buy at Leslie's.
    16,388 gallons, IG, Pebble Sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair Whisperflow Pump, August 2015, Taylor K-2006, spa

12. Back To Top    #12

Walmart

i bought a 25 lb bucket for $25.

ordered online and delivered to my Neighborhood store.

no shipping charges
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Walmart

i bought a 25 lb bucket for $25.

ordered online and delivered to my Neighborhood store.

no shipping charges
    Can you tell me the brand?

14. Back To Top    #14

I ordered this Amazon.com : Snow Joe MELT25CCP 25-LB Professional Strength Calcium Chloride Pellets Ice Melter Resealable Bag : Patio, Lawn Garden

Got the level that pool math stated, so I can confirm this is product works.

15. Back To Top    #15

yeah, so i bought the 25lb bag too before seeing this thread.

i did look up the SDS beforehand.https://www.snowjoe.com/images/galle...s%20SDS-R2.pdf

oddly enough though, the 50# bag doesn't seem to differ in chemical composition from the 25# bag.

i'm considering draining the pool if there's any merit to their being large amounts of potassium?
    22kgal kidney pool, concrete walls, vinyl liner
    jandy vsfhp165aut with iaqualink controller. jandy cs250 filter. jandy truclear swg. jandy ee2500 heatpump
    all versaplumb fittings throughout equipment 7 ton waterfall driven off pump
    polaris 380, powered by main pump. taylor tf100 test equipment

16. Back To Top    #16

You are correct. I wound up getting this real deal Calcium Chloride from Wally World with free ship to store:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snow-Joe-...e-Bag/46622635
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator