Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing a used pump

1. Back To Top    #1

testing a used pump

My neighbor gave me an Intex pump with a timer and I would like to replace my ProSeries pump without a timer. I'd have to make some modifications, in order to do that, so I'd like to make sure it works first. Is there any way I can test it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: testing a used pump

Are you talking about a Hayward ProSeries filter with a PowerFlo pump? If so, an Intex would be a considerable downgrade. Why are you replacing it?

To test the Intex, just plug it in and see if it runs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Intex is virtually never an improvement.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

rlw9 it will be great. Despite what others say, Intex has always worked great for me and others as well. Just keep the water balanced and you should be good to go. I guess you could get a 10 gal bucket and and fill it up with the hose running in the bucket constantly and put the intake hose in the bucket. Have the outtake hose right above the same bucket so you can see it working but have it pouring back into the same bucket. I'd fill the pump up first. Turn it on and take a look. Again, you should be fine with Intex. Works great for me. Can't speak for others, but I know mine is good and I have ran it for 12 hours a day from April thru Oct. for two seasons. Still works fine.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! I set the pump up on a table, connected the hoses, stuck the ends in the pool, primed the pump and it worked!

I guess I should've explained a bit more. We have a ProSeries 14x42 pool with the built in skimmer pump. It doesn't have a timer on it (see my previous post from a few weeks ago). I was complaining to my neighbor, so he gave me his old one, off a similar size Intex. I'm not here at the bay house every day, so I needed a timer to run the pump when I'm not around. Now, I just have to make the modifications and I should be good to go.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great. Yes, I knew what kind of pump you were talking about replacing. You should be happy with the Intex vs the current one you are using.
    Mike
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired