Maintenance while out of the country

May 4, 2015
Waterloo, Ontario
I need some assistance on how to maintain the tub while away. I will be gone for 16 days so essentially i want to run the spa on sleep mode, 2-2 hour filter cycles 70-80 degrees max, i have a hydropool 650 self cleaning spa.

Just looking into advice on how much i might need to bring the bromine levels up. I have a brand new spa eclipse ozonator installed, just put in a freshly cleaned filter and i also have one of the tablet dispensers built into the filter housing so essentially this will only replenish bromine during the filter cycles.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Are you able to maintain the bromine level in the spa just using a bromide bank and having the ozonator create more bromine from the bromide bank? If so, then just adjust the filtration on-time that presumably has the ozonator on to be long enough to maintain a bromine level in the spa. If you haven't been using bromine tabs or brominating concentrate, then you can just add sodium bromide as with an initial fill.

But wont the bromine bank eventually get consumed by using the ozonator ? I thought i would need to disconnect the ozonator...thats what i have been reading so I am a bit confused. I have been using bromine tabs and also shocking with the concentrate weekly

But wont the bromine bank eventually get consumed by using the ozonator ? I thought i would need to disconnect the ozonator...thats what i have been reading so I am a bit confused. I have been using bromine tabs and also shocking with the concentrate weekly

The ozone from the ozonator will continuously oxidize the bromide ion (Br-) back to bromine. So, as the bromine disinfects and oxidizes waste, it gets reduced to bromide and the ozonator then oxidizes it back to bromine. With you gone and no one in the hot tub, hopefully the ozonator can keep you at the right bromine levels with a sufficiently long enough run time.

Ozone can cause some of the bromide to convert to bromate (BrO3-) and be lost, but that reaction should be a lot lower than the conversion of bromide to bromine.

I think the idea that chem geek was alluding to was not to worry about tablets but to just let the ozonator work on the bromide bank that already exists in the water to be your source of bromine. The tablets are likely BCDMH (1-Bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin). The tablets will certainly add bromine (and chlorine) to the spa water but I'm not sure they'll last 16 days. The ozonator is what is needed to convert the spent bromide (wherever it comes from) back to bromine. So you need to see if your ozonator is capable of holding up your bromine concentration without the need for tablets in the floater.

Raising the bromine levels up high initially is fine to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.