To cover or not to cover, that is the question :)

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
As of right now, (permit stage) we don't have plans for a cover. We have a full sun backyard with no landscape, however, both next door neighbors have trees. We never have to rake and historically get few leaves or debris in the yard.
What are the pros and cons to covering?
If you don't cover, do you still winterize your pumps, etc or do you run them year round?
we live in the Tulsa area. Winters can be cold with snow and ice but typically are not prolonged more than a week or so at a time. Currently we have spring-like weather. Our worst winter weather is usually Jan Feb March.

If you do cover, what kind do you use? Would you recommend it?
Thanks for your input!

Congrats on the new pool! Lots of pros & cons on the forum about covers. Generally speaking, the biggest advantage for having a cover in the winter is to keep leaves and organic debris from falling into the water, reducing the amount of cleaning required later. Covers are favored by many in the summer to help reduce sun/UV effects on the chlorine as well, saving a bit on FC consumption. A little south of you here in TX, Jan/Feb are our coldest months as well. No hard freezes like up north, just a few mornings of freeze warnings that usually go away by mid-day. On those days, we leave the pump running to keep water moving through the pipes as a precautionary measure, but other than that pump use slows-down considerably. In my region, I do not winterize (shut-down, disconnect pump, etc) my pool each year. I just run the pump occasionally, clear the skimmer, and check chemicals once in a while as needed since the colder water really doesn't require much chemical attention. Some folks swear by covers, others are just happy without. I suspect others will reply with more specifics - hopefully someone who lives in your local area. Good luck!

Congrats on the new pool! Lots of pros & cons on the forum about covers. Generally speaking, the biggest advantage for having a cover in the winter is to keep leaves and organic debris from falling into the water, reducing the amount of cleaning required later. Covers are favored by many in the summer to help reduce sun/UV effects on the chlorine as well, saving a bit on FC consumption. A little south of you here in TX, Jan/Feb are our coldest months as well. No hard freezes like up north, just a few mornings of freeze warnings that usually go away by mid-day. On those days, we leave the pump running to keep water moving through the pipes as a precautionary measure, but other than that pump use slows-down considerably. In my region, I do not winterize (shut-down, disconnect pump, etc) my pool each year. I just run the pump occasionally, clear the skimmer, and check chemicals once in a while as needed since the colder water really doesn't require much chemical attention. Some folks swear by covers, others are just happy without. I suspect others will reply with more specifics - hopefully someone who lives in your local area. Good luck!

Thanks, Pat!

I did not use a cover for the last three seasons. As such, my CH is quite high now (~800ppm) due to constant use of city fill water (CH ~ 280-350ppm). So if you live in a dry area with low rainfall, no cover will mean ever increasing CH if you have hard fill water.

I plan to purchase a reflective bubble cover next year and try to use it as regularly as I can. I want to see what impact I'll have on FC demand and I want to lower my water usage as Tucson city water gets very expensive in the summer.

If you have a freeform pool design, using a cover can be a real PITA but there are roller methods out there to help (available on Amazon and DIY concepts here on TFP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I did not use a cover for the last three seasons. As such, my CH is quite high now (~800ppm) due to constant use of city fill water (CH ~ 280-350ppm). So if you live in a dry area with low rainfall, no cover will mean ever increasing CH if you have hard fill water.

I plan to purchase a reflective bubble cover next year and try to use it as regularly as I can. I want to see what impact I'll have on FC demand and I want to lower my water usage as Tucson city water gets very expensive in the summer.

If you have a freeform pool design, using a cover can be a real PITA but there are roller methods out there to help (available on Amazon and DIY concepts here on TFP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

In the Tulsa area we get a decent amount of rainfall/precipitation through the fall/winter/spring. It can get pretty dry during the summer though. Is it better to keep all of that precipitation out of the pool?
Our design is rectangular in shape, so maybe a little less PITA...

In the Tulsa area we get a decent amount of rainfall/precipitation through the fall/winter/spring. It can get pretty dry during the summer though. Is it better to keep all of that precipitation out of the pool?
Our design is rectangular in shape, so maybe a little less PITA...

Actually, rain water is excellent for pool fill. Low pH, no TA or CH. So, in moderation, it can really help keep your water balanced. And the best part is, it's free!!

Yes, a rectangular shape helps a lot. If you have the money, you can get a high quality reel for your pool cover and that will make using one A LOT easier.

A good quality bubble cover will also help you retain water heat as well. So I think, in the end, you should seriously consider a cover. More upsides for you than downsides.

I own a loop-loc cover that I have not used the past 3 winters. I just run the pump as needed on cold nights. Leaves can be a bit of a pain but much easier to just let it run on cold nights and still get to look at a pretty pool year round.

Actually, rain water is excellent for pool fill. Low pH, no TA or CH. So, in moderation, it can really help keep your water balanced. And the best part is, it's free!!

Yes, a rectangular shape helps a lot. If you have the money, you can get a high quality reel for your pool cover and that will make using one A LOT easier.

A good quality bubble cover will also help you retain water heat as well. So I think, in the end, you should seriously consider a cover. More upsides for you than downsides.

That's great info about the rain water, the reel and the bubble cover, Matt. We may very well be tapped out this first year and not be able to afford a cover even if we decide we want one.

- - - Updated - - -

I own a loop-loc cover that I have not used the past 3 winters. I just run the pump as needed on cold nights. Leaves can be a bit of a pain but much easier to just let it run on cold nights and still get to look at a pretty pool year round.

Do you have any water features? If so, do you winterize those lines or do you just run everything? I think OKC runs a little warmer than we do up here in the Tulsa area, but not by much.

TFP Expert mas985 (Mark) has an awesome little tutorial thread on a DIY solar roller cover reel made out of PVC pipe and automotive clips. See it HERE. It can at least save you the cost of buying an expensive reel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.