New Pool - SE Pennsylvania

Just got the call from the PB. Permit approved, dig starts on Wednesday. Let the fun begin!!!

Now I have to scramble to get a septic contractor out to mark out my leech field, don't need the heavy equipment damaging that. Snow just melted here in the past few days, wasn't expecting the permit approval and digging to start this quick!

Ryan

Great news!! We also have the Techno-Bloc pavers. Ours are the Victorien collection in Sandlewood and Shale Grey. They are not next to the pool but form a basketball court, patio and walkways. What collection are you going with?

And since you have to have that electric line moved, do consider dropping a water line in with it or near it as allowed. It sure is nice to have a water line by the pool/equipment. Can't remember if you said you already had that. Since you are working with gravity, you can have the line go a little further downhill than you need it with a drain. Then clearing out the line for winter is as simple as opening a valve on the upper end by the house and opening the valve at the bottom and voila.

Good luck sleeping now with all the anticipation!

Great news!! We also have the Techno-Bloc pavers. Ours are the Victorien collection in Sandlewood and Shale Grey. They are not next to the pool but form a basketball court, patio and walkways. What collection are you going with?

And since you have to have that electric line moved, do consider dropping a water line in with it or near it as allowed. It sure is nice to have a water line by the pool/equipment. Can't remember if you said you already had that. Since you are working with gravity, you can have the line go a little further downhill than you need it with a drain. Then clearing out the line for winter is as simple as opening a valve on the upper end by the house and opening the valve at the bottom and voila.

Good luck sleeping now with all the anticipation!

bmoreswim, we are going with the techo bloc parisien collection, chestnut brown color in a modified herringbone pattern. I will definitely ask the PB about dropping a water line. It isn't the end of the world if we don't do it since the existing hose bib is only 20-30 feet from the pool.

Update....
Pre-dig inspection and setback verification was done by the township on Monday. Passed with no issues.

Met with the foreman last night, he plans on starting the dig tomorrow (Thursday) and having that done in one day. Rebar is scheduled for Saturday and then plumbing/electric early next week. Our township only inspects every Tuesday/Thursday, so we will be hard pressed to get all that done before next Thursday. That means we get the next inspection the following week before the gunite shoot.

One change to the overall design was made. After the PB laid out the outline of the pool I felt that the one edge of the pool would be too close to my shed. I am afraid I would have trouble getting the lawnmower in/out once the slope from the pools edge was taken into the equation. I can't move the pool up away from the shed due to my septic setbacks, so I am having the PB change the overall shape from the one in my original posts to a kidney type shape. This will eliminate the "bump" out of the pool towards the shed on the original drawing and add that area to the shallow end. That will give me another 3-4 feet of room in from of the shed. The bonus is I will get a larger shallow end.

Ryan

If your wife has red hair, you may want to reconsider your color choice to Sandalwood. The tanish/orangish bricks that are mixed in would pickup and highlight the color of her hair. Otherwise, I think you have made a great color choice.

Glad you were able to find a suitable (pool pun) solution for you pool shape within the confines are your building area. That can be a big challenge sometimes.

Better to get the downpours out of the way today versus after the dig.

Good luck! Exciting times!

And we are off!!!!

Mats over the septic line between my 2 tanks.

From the deck

I am at work at the moment, but here are some screen shots from one of my security cameras.

More to come....

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome!! I see a timelapse video in your future. Looks like you might have a good run of weather if they can move and get your gunite done by mid next week.

Discount double-check all depths before steel to catch any issues as quickly as possible. Can't wait to see more pics.

All was good with the video until they cut the buried cables.

I had electric lines and a few direct burial cat6 cables installed last year. We thought it would be out of the way originally, but with the septic issues we had the pool was pushed closer to the house and the lines basically now cut through the shallow end. We knew going into today that the lines would be hit. My electrician will be out tomorrow to divert the main feeds. I am not going to re-run the cat6 and instead install 2 point to point Unifi bridges. https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeamm/

The moment the cables were cut. :(

Do we have pics of the finished dig? Did the feeds get run? Any issues so far?

bmoreswim, there hasn't been much progress. They had the initial dig done last Thursday, but immediately started running into issues. The ground is so wet from the recent rain and all the snow we had that the walls started caving in. The PB decided that we need the gunite crew to come out at spray the walls with a thin coat to stabilize. They needed to time this with the excavation crew so that the proper depths can be done. We had a little water in the bottom on Thursday, so the PB dropped a small pump in the pit to keep ahead of it. Well turns out the pump didn't work, so I woke up Friday to a good 3-4 feet of water in the deep end. The PB came back out and dropped a new pump in. As of this evening the deep end is pretty dry, with the pump only kicking on occasionally.

So the plan right now is thin shot of gunite/final excavation tomorrow, rebar on Tuesday and plumbing/electric later this week. From there we will need another inspection from the township and then can schedule the final gunite shoot.

Ill try taking some pictures tomorrow morning before work.

Ryan

Sorry to hear about the water issues. Hopefully they will evaporate soon. I remember my PB saying he is always relieved when the shell is shot, since its mostly bullet-proof at that point.

Also a good time to think about how water will flow down the hill around the pool area...if the PB hasn't gone over that with you.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear about the water issues. Hopefully they will evaporate soon. I remember my PB saying he is always relieved when the shell is shot, since its mostly bullet-proof at that point.

Also a good time to think about how water will flow down the hill around the pool area...if the PB hasn't gone over that with you.

Thanks for the update.

We actually have a decent plan with the landscaper for the water that comes down the hill. Right now we have almost 250ft of irrigation piping that will be installed throughout the high side of the pool and above the patio to catch any water coming down the hill and divert it around and towards the creek behind the house. We are also going to use this opportunity to connect the gutters on the back of the house to the same system.

Here are a few pictures from over the weekend and this morning for the gunite skim coat.

And a few more pictures from this morning after the thin coat of gunite was sprayed to stabilize the walls. Waiting on the excavator to come back out to clean up the deep end (hopefully today). Rebar is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.