duraleigh has screwed up his computer (again)

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Good Morning,

Running Windows XP, I open all my programs by keeping shortcuts on my desktop.

Somehow, I have managed to reconfigure so when any program opens, it does so in a small window. It's easy enough to expand it to full screen size by clicking the button in the upper right hand corner.

For the life of me, I cannot find the setting that allows me to set it to open up in full screen automatically.

Thanks in advance

Well, I am getting frustrated I can't find the fix for this minor annoyance.

I have no "desktop" icon on my desktop. Are you talking about the "desktop" selection in the "Start" menu?

Please, somebody shoot me!! :shock: :shock:

Despite that very clear explanantion, I have no "run" button after clicking on the properties icon

This is in every program I open so it is a universal setting....not unique to a particular shortcut.

When they are telling you to click on your desktop they mean the page with your "background" on it. The page that comes up after you start your computer and log into your computer. Right click on that page and select properties. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I understand about the background. I don't have access to the buttons they're talking about. I'm pretty sure it's because the icons affected are not generatede by the software but, rather, shorcuts I have created by dragging the url onto the desktop.

I have had this happen before and I got it solved but cannot remember how....very frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Yeah, I understand about the background. I don't have access to the buttons they're talking about. I'm pretty sure it's because the icons affected are not generatede by the software but, rather, shorcuts I have created by dragging the url onto the desktop.

I have had this happen before and I got it solved but cannot remember how....very frustrating.
So, when you right-click on one of those icon/shortcuts you created, what happens? I get a menu, and one of the menu items is Properties. I select that, and up comes a dialog box that has tabs at the top, one of which is called Shortcut. When that tab is selected, there are a bunch of fields, one of which is called Run: it has a dropdown list, where you can select Minimized, Maximized, or Normal window.
Hope this helps,
--paulr

So, when you right-click on one of those icon/shortcuts you created, what happens?
Hi, Paul,

Thanks for your help.....I still can't fix it.

So, when I right click on the icon, I do get the menu that includes "properties".

When I select "properties" a new window (in this case, entitled "Trouble free Pool - Portal) opens with two tabs....one that's labeled "web document" and one that's labeled "general". There is nothing in either tab that is pertinent to my issue.

If I'm reading this correctly, you aren't opening multiple different applications. Instead, you have desktop icons that are simply URL's to various websites. If so, then clicking on those icons will launch your preferred web browser and then display the web page that the URL points to.

This should fix it. I'll assume that you're using Firefox, but you can use the name of whatever browser that you normally use.

1. Close ALL instances of Firefox.
2. Click on Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox
3. If we're on the right track, Firefox will open as a very small window, just like your other links do.
4. Adjust the size of the Firefox window to the size that you prefer (but do NOT use the maximize button. You have to drag the window out to a bigger size manually).
5. Close Firefox.

Most Windows apps remember the size that they were when last closed. If you shrunk down the browser and then closed it, it remembers that size. The next time it launches, it will open at that size. Clicking on the maximize button doesn't reset the "size" that the app remembers. It is only reset when you manually change the window size.

Since your desktop icons are just URL's, they don't contain any info about the app. Windows keeps track of what your "preferred browser" is and will open that browser for any link that you click that ends with .htm or .html. When the browser opens, it uses its last "remembered" size and then goes to the URL contained within the link that you clicked.

Hope that does the trick for ya! :)

Harry,
If I'm reading this correctly, you aren't opening multiple different applications. Instead, you have desktop icons that are simply URL's to various websites. If so, then clicking on those icons will launch your preferred web browser and then display the web page that the URL points to.
That's absolutely correct.

I'm using IE7 instead of Firefox but I tried what you suggested with no success.

IE7 opens up with a full (or max) window but the applications still open in small windows. It appears again to be the shorcuts that I have drug onto the desktop rather than those shortcuts that a software install creates.

I am very appreciative of everyone's help.

Hello Dave,

I have an XP notebook and I use IE7, but I'm really a Linux guy. I've been following this thread and trying to figure it out by experimenting on my own machine, but no luck.

I think I don't really understand what you mean by
duraleigh said:
... the shortcuts that I have drug onto the desktop
If you can tell me what that means a little more precisely, I'll be happy to try some experiments on my machine.

I only offer this, likely incompetent, help because nothing else seems to be working.

Cheers, Gary

P.S. Latest refill arrived today. Thanks!

Hi, Gary,

Thanks!

I start all my programs from shortcut icons on my desktop. Those programs that are resident have automatically placed their icons onto the desktop and they open up full screen.

It's the internet shortcuts that I "drag" (or create) onto the desktop that open in small windows. So, if I open troublefreepool.com and right click on the background I can (and do) create a shortcut to that url on my desktop. Then, when I close TFP and reopen it from the icon I "created" on the desktop, it opens in a small window.

You know, I have to say that XP is probably the most stable operating system to ever come out of Redmond, but there is always some Crud like this that crops up, and there just never seems to be a reason or a fix. IE is especially gnarly because XP saves different information based upon how the program was started (I know, right?). While it is the same to us, it is different to XP if IE is started by shortcut or start menu.

If you don't mind editing the registry, you can try this:
Open the registry editor by clicking START, RUN, type regedit, and click OK.

In the registry editor, browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
Highlight 'Bags' in the left-hand pane, right-click on it, and select 'Export'. Pick a file name and save it as a backup. Remember where you save this file.
Now, with 'Bags' still highlighted, delete it by pressing DEL.

Close regedit, and restart or log out of Windows.

Now try your shortcuts and let us know if anything is better.

Hello Dave,

I managed to reproduce your problem, but could not find a solution. Ohm-boy obviously has forgotten more about PCs than I've even known, so you might try his solution.

I opened IE7 both ways (desktop icon as well as through the menu) and no difference in behavior that way.

When I open it and go to a specific page and then create a shortcut of that link to the desktop, I find that the shortcut opens fine (meaning full screen) as long as the original IE7 session is open. This is true even if I then navigate away in the original IE7 session.

When I close the original IE7 session, though, things change. Even though the shortcuts still work, they open up as "normal" rather than "maximized". And I cannot find anything that changes that behavior.

I know this is of no help, but I'm just detailing it so that perhaps someone else might have a "Eureka" moment.

One final thought. A few days or so ago MS put out a security update to IE7 that I installed. If you did the same, perhaps that's what changed the way the shortcuts work. No need to call MS - they'll tell you that it's a "feature" rather than a "problem". Been there, done that. It's why I like Linux.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Gary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.