Hello! Long Time Lurker, First Time Signer-Upper!

Dec 13, 2015
Surprise, AZ
:D Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself here on the boards.

My name's GoGrabTheNet, but you may call me GoGrabTheNet. I look forward to discussions, giving and receiving advice, helping others, and general conversations regarding pools!

I live in the Phoenix area after moving from the Midwest. I ain't no snowbird because I live and work here! :rolleyes:

One of the requirements in buying a home was for it to have a nice pool. After all, I did move here at the hottest time of the year, and it was 117. No sweat though! I loved it! So while the house criteria was met, that being said, I have never owned a pool before! Therefore, it's been a learning experience since day 1. I must say, however, that I've always been interested in pools, and a few family members had in-ground pools, so at least I am not a complete noob.

My pool is an in-ground, PebbleTec, 13,000 gallons, and about 10 years old. It's in great condition (for now). Main pieces of equipment are: a Pentair VS pump, a Hayward cartridge filter system (8 cartridges total, and it's okay), Jandy AE-Ti 115k BTU heat pump, and in-floor pop-up cleaning (A&A Manufacturing). If a signature exists, I will add this info to it for sure.

After learning that my CYA levels were stupidly high, I decided to take matters into my own hands (testing and maintenance), so I bought a TF-100 Kit and my BBB journey started.

Anyway, I look forward to hanging out here. Coming soon will be some posts of what I've done and a few questions I have.

Oh, I almost forgot! I debated between GoGrabTheNet and AnalysisParalysis as names since I love to put things to the test! I can't leave well enough alone. My biggest source of "fun" is the Jandy heatpump and heating the pool in general. Let's put it this way for now...I have accepted defeat and now know that it is impossible to heat a pool to a warm-enough degree, in the winter, in the desert. :(

Anyway, see you all in the boards!

Well hello there! What a intro! LOL

How high is "stupid high" for your CYA? what have you done to fix it?

LOL who would have thought you would need a heat pump in AZ??????? We were very surprised when we were at AZ how cold the nights got after such hot days! Had to go buy jackets when we were there!

We can't wait to help you on your clear pool journey!

Kim

Thank you all!

Well hello there! What a intro! LOL

How high is "stupid high" for your CYA? what have you done to fix it?

LOL who would have thought you would need a heat pump in AZ??????? We were very surprised when we were at AZ how cold the nights got after such hot days! Had to go buy jackets when we were there!

We can't wait to help you on your clear pool journey!

Kim

Yes, it can get cold but not as cold as the Midwest, Indiana specifically. Hopefully, we've bottomed out on the cold nights here in Phoenix, as it was 37 last night! Back in Indiana, however, it'll eventually go down to single-digits for sure, most likely 0, and probably negative numbers.

"Stupid high" meant that it was well above 150. Original tests from the pool store varied, but one test (as it may have been diluted to increase resolution) had it at 180. Now that's stupid high! My tests with the TF-100 put it around 140 or so. This was right after I bought the house. The previous owners used pucks for chlorination, and over the 10-year pool lifespan the CYA just kept building and building and building...

To lower CYA, as well as improve TDS, I've so far drained portions of water, putting it legally into the sanitary sewer (actually this is the only legal way apart from draining it onto your own property). First drain was about 35% of the capacity at 4500 gallons, and the second drain (months later) was about 38% at 4900 gallons. It's hard to stomach "wasting so much water" especially in the desert, but at least the community's waste treatment program takes about half of the water and puts it towards irrigation purposes (gray water), and the rest is treated further and pumped back underground or put in the canals. So I don't feel so bad.

So CYA is about 80. A 50/50 dilution test puts it more accurately at 78. My goal is 50 (or 30) because a) chlorine will be more effective at lower ranges, and b) said lower ranges can be measured using the OTO tests as opposed to always relying on the Chlorine Drop Test which is more expensive and time consuming.

Stick with 50 ppm CYA, especially since you're in the desert.