New test kit shows extremely high FC level

Oct 11, 2015
Winter Park, FL
So I just got a new container of R-0870 and R-0871 from tftestkits. Before then, the pool store told me my FC level was at 5 (now I know that's as high as it goes for them). So I was excited to do a proper test and get accurate results.

I filled the vial up to the 10mm mark, put in 2 dippers of R-0870, dissolved and began adding drops...and more drops...and more drops....and MORE drops. I stopped adding drops when I reached over 115 and the water turned a darker purple from pink. It never turned even close to clear. I swirled very well between drops per the instructions too.

Can my FC be that high? I have very high CYA levels too at, I estimate, over 200.

What gives? I haven't added chlorine in over a week. Can it still be that high?

You say you have not added chlorine in over a week but I see you have a chlorinator. What is it set at? Have you tested it in a while?

I know my pool is not using much FC at all now. I am up from you but we have been extra warm so far. I would trust your test kit.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

oh since your CYA is so high it might be time to drain some of your water and see what happens with both tests after the refill.

I put a few pucks in just before leaving for Thanksgiving, but nothing since then. I won't use them again as I now know that they are stabilized tabs and the last thing I need is more CYA! I plan on doing a drain, as soon as I can convince the wife that it needs to be done. All she sees is $$$.

Water in Florida is around $5/1k gallons so if you drained 2/3 of your pool that's about $40.....not chump change but you will still be able to pay the cable bill. :mrgreen:

Failure to get your CYA to a manageable level and stop using pucks will cost you a BOATLOAD more.

I would suggest doing the fc test to completion to find out how high the chlorine level really is. You do need to do a partial drain and refill. Just make sure that you never drain below ground water level or you could float your pool.

Water in Florida is around $5/1k gallons so if you drained 2/3 of your pool that's about $40.....not chump change but you will still be able to pay the cable bill. :mrgreen:

Failure to get your CYA to a manageable level and stop using pucks will cost you a BOATLOAD more.

Dave is right. You'll spend more money over time in chlorine than you will in water. Your wife needs to understand that although the pool may look fine, it is not and your test kit reflects that, your new knowledge of pool care tells you it's wrong, and the pool stores have sold you chemicals and potions that you didn't even need. Therefore, you must now fix the levels before you waste more money dumping massive amounts of chlorine into the pool and still getting the green monster... Because it will happen.

Good news is I don't have cable so i think I can handle the $40! Is there a better way to drain other than using my pump to suck it out of the deep end and having a hose in the shallow end keeping the water level stable? I don't know how to find the underground water level so I don't want to risk draining too much and besides, the pump won't work once the water level reaches the bottom of the skimmer. Thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.