Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak difference question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak difference question.

I am about to buy a pool heater. The pool guy says the master temps better than the raypak and that the raypak pilot assembly has to be replaced every 3 or so years.

now I don't care about his "this is better" move, but I didn't hear about the pilot light replacement thing.

the pilot lights always on? The pilot needs to be replaced every so often?

now I'm pretty confident the raypak is quieter than the master temp. Curious if people have the above listed issue with the raypak.
    Inground Gunite/Plaster pool with spa. Estimated 31,000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raypak difference question.

Funny, I install hundreds of the Raypak/Rheem's each year and have not heard of this nor do I have customers calling me back to replace the pilot assembly in 3 years or at any time for that matter. There is no standing pilot. Spark ignition and then when the unit turns off there is no pilot burning. Raypak is the quietest unit as there is no blower motor which also means that there is one less part to fail down the road if you get a Raypak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Hmm....

is is there a specific model number for it. Im going to go to this guy and make a specific request for a specific model, vs him just choosing whatever.

Assumig 400,000 btu. Pools 25 to 30,000 gallons.

inguess the real question is is there a point in getting the nickel one vs the copper.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

406A is the model.

I never install or recommend a cupro nickel exchanger on a residential pool.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Paul knows his stuff. Trust him!

6. Back To Top    #6

My Rheem has a standing pilot, it is a millivolt model. It's about 3 years old and have not had any issues. I do take the required maintenance like cleaning spider webs around burners before season start up.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Code in many places does not allow you to install a unit with a standing pilot any more. It' wastes more fuel than people think.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    406A is the model.

I never install or recommend a cupro nickel exchanger on a residential pool.
    Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.