New Swim Spa Heater Electrical Problem

Dec 11, 2015
Concrete,WA
We just got a new propane heater for our swim spa and my dad installed it. He is not a licensed electrician, but he has done a little wiring on different things. Besides the price was right. We did not realize after removing the old heater that its wiring was 240V so we installed a GFCI outlet using the old heaters wiring thinking it was 120. When I plugged the new spa heater into the outlet I heard a loud pop and then nothing. My question is what would have popped when I plugged the 120 power cord into the 240V wired outlet? We have since read the manual and removed the power cord and hardwired the heater to its own circuit breaker using the 240V wiring. The heater we purchased could be ran as either 120V power cord or hardwired 240V. I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you.

Unfortunately a lot of things could have 'popped'. It could be something as simple as a fuse or it could be the control board or the power transformer, or really anything in between.

What is the model of the heater?

Its a Ray Pak Model 106. We contacted the Ray Pak company we purchased it from and after explaining to them what happened they said it sounded like the transformer. So we ordered one and are waiting on it to get here. They also said it was fairly easy to install so that's good news... Thank you for responding Bama Rambler.

you cant think it was a certain voltage you have to know it exactly, there is no room for guess work when electrical work is involved, if your dad does not know how to use a multi meter (a tool that measures electrical circuits) then he/you should consider having a qualified pool repair tech that knows heaters, come over and make sure, without question, where things are as far as damage,etc, and what needs to be done to make it function as intended. im not doing you any favors by offering possible solution,s, other than bring in a pro to help, which is the best advice by far,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.