Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Swim Spa Heater Electrical Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

New Swim Spa Heater Electrical Problem

We just got a new propane heater for our swim spa and my dad installed it. He is not a licensed electrician, but he has done a little wiring on different things. Besides the price was right. We did not realize after removing the old heater that its wiring was 240V so we installed a GFCI outlet using the old heaters wiring thinking it was 120. When I plugged the new spa heater into the outlet I heard a loud pop and then nothing. My question is what would have popped when I plugged the 120 power cord into the 240V wired outlet? We have since read the manual and removed the power cord and hardwired the heater to its own circuit breaker using the 240V wiring. The heater we purchased could be ran as either 120V power cord or hardwired 240V. I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you.
    1998 Clearwater Ultra-Sage Series Swim Spa 18 ft long 4 ft deep.
    Purezone Ozone Generator
    Raypak Atmospheric Above-Ground Pool/Spa Heater Model 106 brand new

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Swim Spa Heater Electrical Problem

Unfortunately a lot of things could have 'popped'. It could be something as simple as a fuse or it could be the control board or the power transformer, or really anything in between.

What is the model of the heater?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Its a Ray Pak Model 106. We contacted the Ray Pak company we purchased it from and after explaining to them what happened they said it sounded like the transformer. So we ordered one and are waiting on it to get here. They also said it was fairly easy to install so that's good news... Thank you for responding Bama Rambler.
    Purezone Ozone Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

Hopefully it's just the transformer and it'll be an easy replacement. My dad always said that bought lessons are the best if they don't cost too much!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Isn't the raypak multi voltage capable depending on how the wires are connected in its junction box?

6. Back To Top    #6

It can either be hooked up to 120 or 240, but it requires manually changing the transformer primary connections.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

you cant think it was a certain voltage you have to know it exactly, there is no room for guess work when electrical work is involved, if your dad does not know how to use a multi meter (a tool that measures electrical circuits) then he/you should consider having a qualified pool repair tech that knows heaters, come over and make sure, without question, where things are as far as damage,etc, and what needs to be done to make it function as intended. im not doing you any favors by offering possible solution,s, other than bring in a pro to help, which is the best advice by far,

8. Back To Top    #8

Again thank you Bama Rambler for your insight and help. It was greatly appreciated.
    Purezone Ozone Generator