has anyone used an anti dog barking device?

Dec 30, 2013
SF, CA, USA
we have neighbors with a yappy dog. they are fine people but the dog is intolerable. i read today that there are ultrasonic deterrent devices that listen for a dog's bark, then emit noise to annoy or scare them into not barking more. these devices seem to cost $50-$100. has anyone used one and did it work?

Hi Brick,

I've used one of those with mixed results. We didn't pay anything like the money you have quoted, we found one on one of those internet deal sites for about $35 Australian.
It worked very well initially, but it chewed through 9v batteries like no man's business and after a while both my dog and the neighbour's dog seemed to develop an immunity.
I don't use it anymore.

Now the annoying neighbour's dog yaps frequently and every so often mine goes up to the fence and tells it to shut up for 10 seconds then she trots back inside and ignores it - quite cute really !!!!

Sal

Years ago, our former neighbor's dogs would drive us absolutely crazy with their constant barking when we were in our backyard. They were "outside" dogs, so there was no respite.

I have to admit that we started letting off a firecracker every so often. The dogs would leave us alone for a while because they didn't like the noise. We didn't want them to get used to the firecrackers, so we only used them when we had adult guests.

Talk to the neighbors and ask them to work on keeping the dog quiet. The dog needs training to stop barking so much. If they aren't willing to work at keeping their dog quiet then it might be best to report the dog to the city as a noise nuisance.

we have neighbors with a yappy dog.... ...has anyone used one and did it work?

I had one, and it seemed to work. Somewhat... The big problem I had was finding a good place to mount it where the fence wouldn't block it. It also had an AC power adapter that seemed better suited for indoors, and didn't reach where I needed it, and I didn't want to have an extension cord strung through that area... The unit itself came with a plastic sleeve that I think also muffled the sound. It would have been much better if it had been made to put right in the elements.

To me, it did seem like the barking subsided somewhat, but it's not an overnight thing. The dog has to learn to make the association between it's barking and the annoying whine the thing is supposed to be making. Our neighbors's dog must have been a bit on the slow side, because it took it a while for me to notice any difference.

The one thing that lead me to believe it was working was that - instead of non-stop barking - it would bark a couple of times, then pause, as if it was listening between barks. I think it may have fully worked given more time, but alas, the dog died (not my doing, in case you're wondering...).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.