Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning SWCG cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning SWCG cell

Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure I need to clean the electrodes on my Chlorinator unit - there's a message on the display saying "Check cell"
    The manual for my unit (details in sig) says that I need to:
    1) Disconnect the leads - done
    2) Unscrew the plastic retaining ring - done
    3) Remove the electrode/cell and immerse in cleaning solution - not done.

The illustration in the manual seems to suggest that the cell should just lift out once the retaining ring is removed, but I am unable to pull it out.
    I've tried gently unscrewing in case it is threaded in, but not being familiar with this I'm not keen to push too hard.

Has anyone got any experience with this Zodiac Tri unit?

Thanks in advance,

Sal

- - - Updated - - -

My plan B might be to remove the whole unit from the inlet and out let pipes intact and simply invert it and pour the cleaning solution into one of the openings - I've seen a couple of youtube videos where they do that.
    39,000 litre (10,000 US gallons) IG vinyl salt water, Waterco S600 Sand filter, Zodiac Tri Chlorinator, Hurlcon E Series 230 pump, Taylors K-2006C Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning SWCG cell

I am not familiar with the specifics of that cell but you only need to clean it if there is white calcium build up between the plates. If it is clean then don't pour acid through it. Many SWG cells have the check cell light on a timer, it doesn't actually mean there is a problem or a fault. If you maintain your CSI slightly negative using Poolmath it will reduce the likelihood of any calcium build up. I haven't had to clean my cell in 3+ years. M
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that M.

I do have a white build up visible in the unit - as shown here:

IMG_1978.jpg

I take your point about the message just being a routine thing - it could well be that, but I'm just going through summer start up processes here now (I'm in Australia) and trying to get a nice clear pool for the missus - my life will be much easier if I can pull that off - lol !!!!
    39,000 litre (10,000 US gallons) IG vinyl salt water, Waterco S600 Sand filter, Zodiac Tri Chlorinator, Hurlcon E Series 230 pump, Taylors K-2006C Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

There is an O-ring that makes the unit watertight. It makes the part somewhat difficult to pull out. You might have to pry it out or grab the end with big pliers to pull it out.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks James, it might be easier to go with plan B I'm thinking !

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmmm, wonder what that M is for??? I am all about the happy missus! Float her in a nice clean pool and life is good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I am all about the happy missus!
    Totally agree, all my activity on here is nothing to do with what I want

8. Back To Top    #8

The more that you keep your questions on one thread, the better, IMHO.