Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium coming out of my tile and bricks

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Calcium coming out of my tile and bricks

I just got my tile and a back wall on my pool redone about 1 week ago and already I am seeing white calcum coming out of the tile and coming down the rock work that was just installed it is not the normal calcium from the water splashing up on the tile and leaving a calcium resadue it is coming from the rocks above the tile line and from out of the groute lines it looks like it is being pressed out from behind the tile and rock work what is causing this should i call me contractor that just did the job or should i call my pool guy it was just filled with water less than 2 weeks ago my pool guy told me all the chems all good. can any body help me

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Calcium coming out of my tile and bricks

It's called efflorescence. It comes from water trapped behind stone and brick permeating through the porous material and leaving behind minerals when the water evaporates. It can be cleaned off with a high quality stone cleaner (eg, Prosoco EnviroKlean). Your stone mason/installer should look at it.

Going forward you need to figure out where the infiltrating water is coming from. Is there a leak somewhere or natural ground water behind this stone? If the source is temporary, then cleaning it once should do the trick. If the source is constantly there, then you need to fix it or mitigate it somehow and then seal the stone with a high quality stone sealer such as the products made by DuPont. Sealing will require regular reapplication as the sealant wears out. Typically every 18-24months so times longer.

Your stone installer can best advise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates