Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chlorine while doing drain and fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chlorine while doing drain and fill

I calculate that my CYA is over 200 using the black dot method and using half tap water/doubling results. According to the (you all are right, they don't know much) pool store, my FC and TC is at 5-6. Clearly I need to add chlorine. My question is, should I be adding it while I'm doing the drain and fill? According to pool math, I need to replace nearly 75% of my water. I don't want to drain away my chlorine also.

Also, the only method I have to drain the pool is using my pool pump and diverting it through a hose before it gets to the filter. This works great until the level of the water drops to the bottom of the skimmer, then it just sucks air. I turned off the skimmer and put an orange (no tennis balls available) over the hole, but it still sucks air and causes the pump to lose prime. Any suggestions? I've resorted to filling at a slightly higher rate than I drain, also filling in the shallow end and draining from the deep end just to keep the skimmer happy.

Help?!
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding chlorine while doing drain and fill

I would get a tennis ball. I would also not worry about chlorine this time of year....just don't take 10 days to complete it.....that might be stretching your luck.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can drain n fill simultaneously by running 2 hoses. One to fill n one to drain at opposite ends of the pool so you're not running dry. I also agree with Dave in not worrying about adding FC until your CYA is in check.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jpolsen View Post

Also, the only method I have to drain the pool is using my pool pump and diverting it through a hose before it gets to the filter. This works great until the level of the water drops to the bottom of the skimmer, then it just sucks air. I turned off the skimmer and put an orange (no tennis balls available) over the hole, but it still sucks air and causes the pump to lose prime. Any suggestions? I've resorted to filling at a slightly higher rate than I drain, also filling in the shallow end and draining from the deep end just to keep the skimmer happy.

Help?!
    If you have a manual vacuum, you can put that in the deep end and connect the hose in the skimmer and drain as far down as you need. I trust you have checked your water table to ensure you don't "pop" the pool?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC