Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Remodel

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Remodel

I am getting ready to replaster my pool. It is a 25,000 gallon kidney shaped pool with a 10 foot diving end that I want to make a 6 foot depth prior to the new plaster. I have gotten several contractor bids and been told that what I am proposing is not that uncommon. However, one of the contractors mentioned that he would fill the deep end in with concrete or gunite and I should be aware that where the new gunite joins the existing gunite there will be a risk if cracking (even though they will drill into the existing gunite to tie-in new rebar). This is because the new gunite will taper down to be very thin where it meets up with the existing gunite.

None of the other contractors even mentioned this possibility. Does anyone have thoughts on how likely it is too crack or can someone suggest a method to reduce the risk? One person mentioned you should jack hammer into the existing gunite a couple of inches deep where the new gunite will join the existing gunite and then level it back with the new gunite to avoid a thin area. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Remodel

Quote Originally Posted by blkurtz View Post
    One person mentioned you should jack hammer into the existing gunite a couple of inches deep where the new gunite will join the existing gunite and then level it back with the new gunite to avoid a thin area. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    This is what I'd have done for that exact reason. Perfect logic. It's how they do blacktop on roads...same concept.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I am not sure why your PB will taper down the existing, but he knows what he is talking about and telling you upfront so there are no surprises. I like that
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In concrete language its a cold joint. The gunite is not designed to be set that thin. Talk to him about taking it down a coupe of inches so the cold joint is thicker. Talk Talk Talk.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Curious... Why do you want no diving end?

6. Back To Top    #6

BL, I can understand why you might not want a diving board, but you might want to rethink the deep end for just general play. It would be a great area for cannonballs!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

Hope to see pics of this reno. Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter