Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning natural stone on raised bond beam

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa, AZ

Cleaning natural stone on raised bond beam

My raised bond beam has natural stone, it's some form of slate, it's a hard stone that is not very porus. There is some mortar and grout residue on the stone from the construction process. I want to clean before I use a sealer. I have read that a diluted solution of water and acid can be used to clean as long as the solution is diluted enough so no etching occurs. Has anyone done this or know of another way to clean?

Also considering an enhancer, anyone have experience with an enhancer?

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning natural stone on raised bond beam

A mild HCL (muriatic) solution should eat the grout/cement. Test your solution on a small area and see if it reacts with the slate. I would think reaction should be minimal, even with a 50/50 dilution of straight acid and water.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr