Barracuda cleaner and pressure drop

I have a *very* old Barracuda cleaner that really needs to be replaced, but I'm stuck with it for now.
It came with the pool when I bought the house 5 years ago and was old then.
Pool shop guy tells me that they used to be the best cleaners you could get, but I'm leaning towards a robotic one now, but that's another topic.

Current problem is that when I connect the Barracuda it will run for a few seconds and then stop. When everything is fine, pressure sits around 80 kPa / 12 psi.
When I hook up the cleaner now, this drops by about half. It doesn't usually do that.

I've checked the diaphragm as that's a usual point of failure and I'm currently on my 4th or 5th one in 5 years - its a yearly consumable. This time there are no obvious splits, but there is a weak spot that is very thin and looks like its about to go. I'm pretty sure this is probably my problem, but I guess I'm looking for any other tips before I trot off the pool shop again.

With your experience on these, I'd say you've figured it out. Since you are leaning that way, I'd say jump aboard, and go with a good robot straight away. You'll never regret it, or have to fool with this issue any longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.