Storage of used pucks

Dec 1, 2015
Cypress, Texas
When the pool was turned over to me I removed about 6 pucks from the inline feeder. I decided to keep them to use when I am away from the house for a few days. I put them in a Ziploc bag in the garage. The smell in the garage is getting overwhelming.

Can I store them in the inline feeder if I turn it off? Or should I just throw them away and buy more when I need them?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The pucks are emitting chlorine gas which is not only corrosive to anything metal in your garage but is toxic. Wet trichlor pucks should never be stored in a sealed container like a plastic bag because not only will they build up vapors to possibly dangerous levels (you could be overwhelmed by the vapors) but they can also start to oxidize the plastic which is a potential fire hazard. Calcium hypochlorite is the most dangerous solid chlorine product as it can cause dangerously fast oxidation of other chemicals around it.

You need to remove those pucks from the garage and either put them in your pool water or dispose of them properly. You are talking about saving ~$12 worth of trichlor while potentially costing yourself hundreds of dollars in damage from metal corrosion or worse, a fire that could cause serious property damage.

In contrast, dry, unused trichlor tablets can be stored in their original containers because they emit much less fumes from being desiccated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

The pucks are emitting chlorine gas which is not only corrosive to anything metal in your garage but is toxic. Wet trichlor pucks should never be stored in a sealed container like a plastic bag because not only will they build up vapors to possibly dangerous levels (you could be overwhelmed by the vapors) but they can also start to oxidize the plastic which is a potential fire hazard. Calcium hypochlorite is the most dangerous solid chlorine product as it can cause dangerously fast oxidation of other chemicals around it.

You need to remove those pucks from the garage and either put them in your pool water or dispose of them properly. You are talking about saving ~$12 worth of trichlor while potentially costing yourself hundreds of dollars in damage from metal corrosion or worse, a fire that could cause serious property damage.

In contrast, dry, unused trichlor tablets can be stored in their original containers because they emit much less fumes from being desiccated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
Good point, I will get rid of them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.