Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Salt Generator System

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Salt Generator System

A am in the process of switching my pool from a regular chlorine pool to a salt pool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which manufacturer makes the best system. I am considering Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward. Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best Salt Generator System

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything but Aqua rite for residential.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Impossible to answer....who makes the best car? As always, it depends.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

As Dave (the other Dave) said, it's pretty impossible to answer that specifically. They all make good units, and sometimes they make a bad one.

The best thing you can do is find out which mfg. has the best service and parts near you. Also be sure to buy a unit big enough for your pool. We recommend sizing the unit 1½ to 3 times the size of your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have automation then stay with the same brand. 3+ years with the Pentair IC40 have been great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I like my Aqua Rite that was installed in 2004.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't remember which one it is off hand, but one of the major brands (Pentair?) only allows adjustment in course 10% increments unless you also have their automation system.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

It is Pentair that only allows 20% increments without automation. Mine is on a timer, so dialing in the percentage and the number of hours on it is not an issue to maintain the correct level of FC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Not all make great units, do your due diligence.

10. Back To Top    #10

For what it's worth I plan on replacing my Compupool system with Aquarite when it fully dies. It seems all units have their issues. The Aquarite have a current limiter issue that is know and is an relatively easy fix. It's a $5 part. It seems more of an issue where there's lots of power-surges/lighting.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

They all have the plus and minus I suppose. All in all though, all three that you mentioned enjoy a pretty good reputation.

The Pentair has all of the manual controls built into the cell itself, so a cell replacement is considerably more expensive than a Hayward one.
    Hayward is pretty good unit, I dont know of any minuses except that the Current Limiter is subject to burn up. Its an easy 10 dollar DIY fix though, so this should not steer you away from one.

I dont know anything about any of the other makers, so maybe someone will chime in on that.

I fully concur with Isaac, get a unit rated for at least 1.5x your pool volume. Prefereably even higher. The bigger the cell is, the less wear and tear on it to produce x amount of chlorine. So, larger cells should last longer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you looking to add automation? What are the specifics of your system?

In general, I would consider Hayward, Jandy, AutoPilot and Pentair, in that order.

13. Back To Top    #13

My beef with Jandy is that the largest Aquapure cells top out at 1.4lbs of chlorine per day. With Hayward and Pentair you can get more output for about the same money. What bothers me about Hayward's cell is that they must know that the current limiter is their achilles heel and yet, in all these years, they've never bothered to change their system design to fix it. So you have to ask - why would a world-class manufacturer of pool and spa equipment allow a known design flaw to persist when other manufacturer's cells do not have this problem? To me, that's a big red flag. And yes, Pentair's cell is limited to only 20% increments of output when you use it stand-alone outside of a Pentair automation panel. That's a bit ridiculous and they could change that if they wanted to.

One thing to keep in mind is to check warranties. Often times, pool equipment manufacturers will severely limit their warranties when a person buys their equipment and installs it themselves. Pentair and Jandy have had some issues in this area where they have told customers that, because they self-installed their equipment, the warranty was only good for 60-days. So it's always best to call the manufacturer directly (even if you're going to buy it on Amazon or online retail) and ask them what their warranty policy is for self-installed equipment.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

My understanding is that the newest AquaRite addresses the current limiter issue by using a relay to take it out of the circuit after a few seconds of startup.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

James is correct. A relay that bypasses the current limiter has been incorporated into the design of the GLX-PCB-RITE board.

Hayward has the best warranty and is the simplest (IMO) of the big 3. I would not hesitate for a second to install one, but as others have said, go as big as your wallet will allow.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Jandy Fusion soft. Cells cheaper to replace, easy to clean and inspect. You can use a mineral cartridge if you want to. If you get a pro to install you get 3 year warranty. All systems should be wired to only come on when filter pump is on.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ConradM View Post
    Jandy Fusion soft. Cells cheaper to replace, easy to clean and inspect. You can use a mineral cartridge if you want to. If you get a pro to install you get 3 year warranty. All systems should be wired to only come on when filter pump is on.
    We never recommend running a mineral cartridge as it is not needed and can lead to staining the pool surface.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I have had an AquaRite system for over 10 years now. The cell gave me over seven years of chlorine before needing replacement. Cost of a new cell was about $400, making my chlorine cost less than $60 per year. The inflow resistor you hear about did fail at nine years, but a $2.50 part and 15 minutes with a soldering iron put that right again.
    If the whole system blew up tomorrow, I would buy a new one just like it.

You can find an AquaRite AQR15 with the T-15 (40k rated) cell for less than $1,000. When you need a replacement cell they are under $400. I wouldn't buy anything else, but maybe my experiance makes my a little prejudice.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit