Rebar or mesh?

TomCa

Sep 28, 2015
Roseville, Ca
I have a freeform pool install underway; they did deck forming
the other day. Concrete pour next week.
No rebar; they use mesh. I am installing 480 square feet perimeter.
It extends 5ft out in most areas from water line but 6ft in one area
near the middle.
Do I want or need rebar and is it worth the extra cost to me?
It was not stipulated in the contract.
thank you
Tom

If I recall correctly even mesh for decking should be bonded though. If I recall correctly any concrete within 3ft of the pool that has metal reinforcing of any type has to be bonded. I am not a contractor though I would check with the city before the pour to be safe.

The choice between rebar and mesh comes down to cost and load requirements. Obviously a concrete pool shell needs to handle a significant load from the hydrostatic pressure of the water in the pool. Therefore you use the correct size rebar and pay for proper forming and installation.

A pool deck, in comparison, sees minimal loading and therefore does not really need the added reinforcement from rebar. However, you want to minimize cracking that will occur from thermal expansion and/or soil shifting. So prefabricated steel mesh is a cheap alternative that adds sufficient stress to the concrete to keep it from cracking. Using rebar would be a very expensive alternative and far beyond the necessary mechanical requirements of the deck.

And yes, any metal mesh within 3 feet of the pool shell should be bonded to the pool structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Mesh should be fine for the deck. Rebar and/or mesh do not prevent cracks in the cement, they help to keep the cracks to a minimum. They might add fiber to the cement as another strengthener to the cement. Make sure they install the mesh so it will be centered in the cement and that it is bonded to the pool structure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.