Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar or mesh?

1. Back To Top    #1

Roseville, Ca

Rebar or mesh?

I have a freeform pool install underway; they did deck forming
    the other day. Concrete pour next week.
    No rebar; they use mesh. I am installing 480 square feet perimeter.
    It extends 5ft out in most areas from water line but 6ft in one area
    near the middle.
    Do I want or need rebar and is it worth the extra cost to me?
    It was not stipulated in the contract.
    thank you
    TomCa - IG, gunite, Freeform, 30 x 17, raised beam wall w/ledgestone and flagstone cap, 3ft spill, radiant fusion blue frost, 480sqft concrete decking. SWG filtration, 2 returns, 1 skimmer. 2" & 2.5"PVC . JEP15 Jandy ePump 1.5hp Variable Speed, AquaLink PDA P4 Pool Control , SAVI-MELODY100-J Nexxus 14W 12V Pool Light X 2, J Series, Polaris - 360 Cleaner, Model F1B.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Rebar or mesh?

What does your PB say? He has to warrant the structure so I would get his opinion.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Is your question about the deck or the pool? Pool should have rebar and mesh is fine for the deck. Definitely inquire with your PB with any concerns.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

If I recall correctly even mesh for decking should be bonded though. If I recall correctly any concrete within 3ft of the pool that has metal reinforcing of any type has to be bonded. I am not a contractor though I would check with the city before the pour to be safe.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Rebar or mesh?

The choice between rebar and mesh comes down to cost and load requirements. Obviously a concrete pool shell needs to handle a significant load from the hydrostatic pressure of the water in the pool. Therefore you use the correct size rebar and pay for proper forming and installation.

A pool deck, in comparison, sees minimal loading and therefore does not really need the added reinforcement from rebar. However, you want to minimize cracking that will occur from thermal expansion and/or soil shifting. So prefabricated steel mesh is a cheap alternative that adds sufficient stress to the concrete to keep it from cracking. Using rebar would be a very expensive alternative and far beyond the necessary mechanical requirements of the deck.

And yes, any metal mesh within 3 feet of the pool shell should be bonded to the pool structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Long Beach, CA

Mesh should be fine for the deck. Rebar and/or mesh do not prevent cracks in the cement, they help to keep the cracks to a minimum. They might add fiber to the cement as another strengthener to the cement. Make sure they install the mesh so it will be centered in the cement and that it is bonded to the pool structure.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process