Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can this be?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can this be?

I did a SLAM about 2 months ago and have been letting chlorine levels taper off. This morning I was doing my daily ph and chlorine test, chlorine was dark yellow and noticed some yellow spots on the corner of the steps. I brushed it and came right off. I then did the DPD test and was at 12. Question is how can I have what appeared to be algea when chlorine level is at 12? Running pump from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm. Help please.

CL: 12
    PH: 7.5
    CC: 0
    CYA: 70
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can this be?

If you have inadequate circulation in an area, this can happen but at that FC, it would be less likely. How often are you brushing the pool? Is your Kreepy getting into that area? Regular brushing, especially in areas that do not get attention from a robot or cleaner is important.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Brush once a week, Kreepy doesn't get there. The return lines are pointed away from the steps. Might have to brush more often as it might be poor circulation.
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep an eye on it and if it continues to return let us know. Is that area in a shady part of the pool?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

No, it gets sun but less now because of the season and arc of the sun. Water temp at 76, don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with the others. Any dead spots will accumulate more dirt and a film. Brushing more often always helps.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter