Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended Heat Pump Size for 20x40 inground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended Heat Pump Size for 20x40 inground pool

Looking to add a heat pump to a 20x40 (30,000 gallons) inground pool. Looking to extend season from May thru Sept which has average temps in May/Sept around 60 degrees. Would like to keep water around 85 degrees. I'm assuming I need a heat pump with about 140,000 BTU but wanted to get other thoughts or personal experience on size and brand.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Recommended Heat Pump Size for 20x40 inground pool

The largest you can afford. You will be happy you did. Just keep in mind that outside air temps 60 or below makes these units very inefficient and will not produce much heat. Also invest in a solar blanket for the pool to help reduce your heat losses when you are using the heat pump.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to that. Your pool is BIG and your heat pump needs to be BIG! And a solar cover overnight will help a lot..
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Based on 4 years experience with heat pump I would go with a gas heater. My heat pump does not work well at 60 degrees and takes all day to
    Heat the pool a few degrees