New Pool Build, Magnolia Texas

Needsdecaf

Jun 28, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
So, I work for a national home builder, and we are building a pool at our model home. I thought that it might be fun to chart the progress of this pool build here.

Not sure the exact gallonage, however the features are as follows:

Raised wall spa with spillover
Sport style pool with maximum depth of 6'
21' infinity edge / spillover
Double sheer descents
Fire pit with raised wall and sitting area

Like most pools in the Houston area, this one will be gunite with Pebble Sheen plaster finish. It will have split face stone on the raised walls. The pool decking will be tile. A bit odd, but there's a reason. The home features extensive indoor / outdoor spaces. The front open and covered courtyard, the main living space, and the rear patio all have the same (outdoor rated) tile. This tile will continue on to become the decking. The coping stone is a porcelin 24" paver by Belgard, chosen to match the coloration.

The equipment will all be Pentair and it will be a chlorine pool. What can I say, it's not mine, and that's what most maintenance companies like to maintain.

The pool design:

3236477A-0B20-4CB1-8FDB-30BACDFD091D_zpspmspxqcu.jpg

The materials (the small piece is the existing tile). Coping, spillway tile, and split face stone. The waterline tile will be 1x2, same tile.

170471BB-D962-4C00-ADE6-7894FC46798D_zpsus84cxse.jpg

3922067E-C1D1-4FD9-AADB-13F672A3BC52_zpsalxnutnm.jpg

The property is very deep, goes down the hill and into the woods. We're not going back that far, however we wanted the design to give you a reason to walk down and see the spillway. So there will be stairs down to the fire pit. Should be very inviting.

The good news is that since this is the slow-ish season here, we should hopefully make some rapid progress. We started digging on Friday.

EDF5AB7F-19BC-4035-8AC7-3BBDCA82705E_zpsaolhg1lz.jpg

Showed up to the rebar on Monday, and they set all the drains, returns, skimmers, etc.

F9F32AF3-90DB-4763-B029-39B84E0777E0_zpsfq3ihuhm.jpg

6471FE19-D007-47ED-8100-B018DD2FAA78_zpscd07fcnk.jpg

Tuesday we shot the gunite

9169EE53-3D35-4F45-ADC7-3D1A43BD4F55_zps5tnrsil1.jpg

27F94FC6-86D4-41FE-8C36-4D235D477340_zpsesnoktrt.jpg

9DBB22EA-FB04-45E8-84A3-D606E9CA1A76_zpssnf2nkr7.jpg

5026E625-7815-4FCC-B2E2-7FD9E6787CCC_zpsszi4alu8.jpg

Today is a bit of cleanup and watering

97107B41-4D4E-48DD-9FFC-AD0DCEABDC49_zpsw6thszdw.jpg

64DD2D3D-CE15-4ECC-A406-5F2E84B93E1E_zpsu41xidym.jpg

0832FF3D-35EC-4448-A54C-759EAEE3DC09_zpsh1dj1exr.jpg

143D980B-8884-47FA-A4CC-1E424C50C9CE_zps2wl33iae.jpg

E46B3E0F-16E5-4891-8AA1-8CF95B26BADA_zpsr7hldepf.jpg

0EAA00CF-4473-4D57-B0DB-87B501F3DFA5_zpszcqdqw47.jpg

01790345-093E-443D-ACF0-3EB1F7DDA64E_zpsqnm7lrbe.jpg

AF4167BA-817B-4102-B621-DDF27869EA0E_zpsbkigilpz.jpg

So up next is the plumbing and electrical, hopefully we will start tile and coping this weekend, although I doubt it since it's supposed to rain. We shall see, but the pool should be done in Early January. I can't wait! I'm going to crank up the heater and jump in this winter!

Re: New Pool Build, Montgomery Texas

Wow. A model pool, a model home, modeling tile inside and out. This should be interesting! :mrgreen:

Re: New Pool Build, Montgomery Texas

Wow. A model pool, a model home, modeling tile inside and out. This should be interesting! :mrgreen:

I have to admit it's pretty cool building a pool on someone else's dime.

But I am responsible for the budget, so we got multiple bids, trimmed fat, and have been paying attention to materials just like I would have on my own pool. Also, I am glad I have the experience of building my own pool, and having learned from this site going into this build. I certainly know way more than when I built my pool, and I would have loved to have had that knowledge then.

As soon As I opened the link to your build n saw the first pic, I remembered your pool. :thumleft:

May I please have a larger decking area around the fire pit? and some very nice lighting from the spillover for when i'm lounging around said pit at night? thank you. :)

I have to say I want this also.............There does not look like enough room to have seating around the fire pit.

I LOVE lights in spill overs. So please at least one if not two please.

How neat would it be to be able to buy a NEW house with the pool already done???????? It does not get better than that!

Kim

It is pretty cool but I don't know if I'd want a house n the same exact pool as my neighbors. LOL

May I please have a larger decking area around the fire pit? and some very nice lighting from the spillover for when i'm lounging around said pit at night? thank you. :)

LOL, for you? Anything.

The fire pit layout is not 100% confirmed. We are going to backfill the pool after the plumbing goes in and lay out the steps and the fire pit. Remember, this is in a model home, and not everyone walks outside. I have to maximize bang on what people see. Having said that, with the topography of the site, it would have been just wrong to not do an infinity edge pool. The home has an abundance of outdoor space as it is, so the fire pit just needs to be able to sit 5-6 people around it.

And yes, there will be plenty of lighting.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say I want this also.............There does not look like enough room to have seating around the fire pit.

I LOVE lights in spill overs. So please at least one if not two please.

How neat would it be to be able to buy a NEW house with the pool already done???????? It does not get better than that!

Kim

This is something we are considering allowing our clients to do, however it is very tricky and raises many potential issues. For instance, do we allow pools to be built by the client and we stay out of it? Or do we do it through us, charging a markup? Do we only allow one pool builder in that we trust and have some control over, or do we allow people to select any pool builder they want?

As it is, many lenders will allow you to do a pool holdback in your loan if you'd like to finance it in your mortgage, so you can have the pool planned and ready to go as soon as you close on the home. The first few weeks after move in, you're still unpacking anyway so it would be a minimum of hassle. To me, that's the best scenario if you want to finance it through your mortgage.

It is pretty cool but I don't know if I'd want a house n the same exact pool as my neighbors. LOL

Even if you were restricted to one pool builder to install the pool during the build process, you wouldn't have to have the same pool of course!

- - - Updated - - -

As soon As I opened the link to your build n saw the first pic, I remembered your pool. :thumleft:

My little lap pool? Thanks! We continue to enjoy it, even though it is small and gets crowded. But we made the most out of it and while there are a few details that I would change, I certainly would do it all over again.

Sorry for the long delay. Work was absolutely insane the last week, and we had some rain. In any event, lots of progress in the last week.

Plumbing (the auto fill controller needs to be re-located from it's position shown here, and I'm also going to get them to get rid of that hideous connection for the auto fill to the hose bib and instead tie it into the irrigation main lines and bury the valve.

IMG_7605_zpsk1l6vgqg.jpg

IMG_7606_zpsxipxgo26.jpg

IMG_7607_zpsmzfd9fby.jpg

IMG_7608_zpss8ytffwe.jpg

IMG_7615_zpsosgncwyj.jpg

IMG_7619_zpsae6bsu4n.jpg

IMG_7620_zpsgkagan55.jpg

Tile and coping going on

IMG_7635_zpspwbhqqlr.jpg

IMG_7636_zpspfsa2nzn.jpg

IMG_7637_zps9mpvwpaj.jpg

IMG_7638_zpsysa8ku1a.jpg

IMG_7639_zpskfvnqksb.jpg

IMG_7640_zpsk1ryfkvn.jpg

IMG_7641_zpsrrq1iwef.jpg

Finished tile, coping and wall stone!!

IMG_7662_zpsy6sb2lk5.jpg

IMG_7664_zpsg00owsp5.jpg

IMG_7665_zpswewny062.jpg

IMG_7666_zpsvss1aqve.jpg

IMG_7667_zpsv7mv0hrm.jpg

IMG_7668_zpsses9hl3f.jpg

IMG_7669_zpsknyisclc.jpg

IMG_7670_zpsk59vrk21.jpg

Up next week...pouring the deck slab to set the tile on. We also have to backfill the fire pit area, and form the stairs and shoot those. We're trying to shoot the Pebble Tec the week after New Years. Hope that we stay on schedule, as this model's set to open mid-January!

Looking great!

How about the one pic you missed. [emoji6] A view from inside the pool just above water level looking out over the infinity edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That waterline tile really compliments the stone work chosen. Did you pick it? If so, you did a great job! If not, kudos to whoever did. I really love it!

Wow! Love the color choices! It's really coming along!

Simply beautiful!! I love the design and finishes -- thanks for sharing this build with us.

That waterline tile really compliments the stone work chosen. Did you pick it? If so, you did a great job! If not, kudos to whoever did. I really love it!

Thanks all! Yes, I ended up picking all the finishes with input by my sales manager. It was really difficult. As I said above we are carrying the tile throughout the majority of the ground floor of the home. It's an open floor plan design with a covered dining area and uncovered courtyard in the front, and a covered patio in the rear. Those areas, as well as the entry, kitchen, pantry and family room are all the same tile to promote the inside / outside feel of the plan. In addition, there is a sliding glass wall leading outside that's 16' long! So naturally we wanted to carry that tile from the rear porch out onto the pool deck. That really dictated the design parameters.

At first, we picked something a little more rustic and "Texas traditional" but I felt like it didn't go with the pool and had some rust colors in it I wasn't digging. I wanted more of a transitional look, not rustic and not modern. The coping chose itself as my goal was to match the tile and make it seem uniform. The waterline tile was the toughest. Because of the spillovers in the spa and pool, it would be visible directly next to cap stones, so it had to go with those (coping) and also tie into the Pebble Tec. And the boss didn't want glass tile. Talk about a difficult task! I think I spent about 6 hours over two days just looking at tile. It was exhausting!

In the end, I'm very excited about how the choices are looking and super excited to see how it comes out!

As difficult as it was, you did a really great job tying it all together! Hearing how the house and pool area flow together, it will be fun to see both when the pool is complete.

What is the name of the spillover tile you ended up going with and who makes it? I really like it!

As difficult as it was, you did a really great job tying it all together! Hearing how the house and pool area flow together, it will be fun to see both when the pool is complete.

What is the name of the spillover tile you ended up going with and who makes it? I really like it!

Meridian by National Pool Tile. Color, Sea Green. The green is there, but barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any way we can get a sneak peak inside the house?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.