Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa pH problems

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Frostproof, FL

Spa pH problems

I have a bromine 730 gallon in ground spa. I have an automatic acid feeder that also reads my pH and ORP. My autofeeder pH is reading anywhere from 6.9 to 7.2 but when I test with Taylor chemicals I am upon over 8. I added about 4 OZ of acids to the pool this morning. The chemical pH stayed about the same but the autofeeder reading dropped to 6.6. 5-6 months ago I cleaned the sensors on the autofeeder. This pH difference just started in the last couple of weeks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Certified Pool Operator
    Frostproff, FL
    27,000 g above ground pool/730 g in ground spa

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Spa pH problems

Welcome to TFP!

If your bromine level is high then you may be getting a false pH reading in Taylor test. Try temporarily lowering the bromine level to 6 ppm or lower and see what happens with the pH test. If they are still different, then your pH sensor may need cleaning and re-calibration. pH and ORP sensors are finicky and need regular maintenance.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"